1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP, baby chicken won't stop distressed chirping!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Smoda, Dec 20, 2015.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I found mine has vent gleek which is why I was asking about the poo bottom or sour crop. Both can cause each other if their stomach ph levels are not even.

2. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA

I agree, remove the bedding so they can't eat it. I also wouldn't recommend tipping the chick upside down, ive seen that it can kill the chicken by choking.

3. Smoda

Smoda Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    Thanks for all the replies. I didn't even think about the possibilities of something other than hunger or temperature. I will look into all suggested a little more and hopefully get to the bottom of her upset.

4. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    Keep us updated! :fl. Also, have you tried a stuffed animal? My little one really liked a stuffed animal and that seemed to soothe her. If you don't have one of those in there I would give that a try.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What type of feed are you giving her? What type of bedding? Is she pooping at all and what does it look like? You say your possibilities are hunger or temperature. Is she huddling with the other chicks or is she separating herself from the others away from the light. Photos of your brooder set up and you cutie pies would be great.

1 person likes this.
  6. Smoda

Smoda Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    The floor is wool carpet covered heavily by bamboo leaves - they haven't made it down to the carpet. The feed is chicken starter feed - I grind it up. I also feed them some seeds and oats ground up. Sometimes some spinach leaves or a slice of cucumber. I'm worried as I haven't seen Saturn poo. The others poop fine, they are solid, sometimes squooshy though. Saturn both snuggles and separates herself from the others. She doesn't seem to sleep as much as the others either. I'll go take a photo now.

7. Smoda

Smoda Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    This is the brooder. Temp sits at about 33°c, but patchers are down to 28°c. Plenty of places to cool down[​IMG]

8. Smoda

Smoda Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    This is Saturn. Her crop does look a little larger than the others crops.[​IMG]

9. Smoda

Smoda Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    This is all three. Butter-Grumbles(little black Australorp) and Persnicketts (Gold laced Wyandotte)[​IMG]

10. Smoda

Smoda Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    Ambe0487, I did put a teddy in and Saturn did settle for an hour or so. She even nested on top[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by