Help - Baby chicks (kinda unexpected!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hd_darcy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am pretty new to chickens, and have never had ones that were hatched by our hens. Well, we had a broody one, but she seemed to me that she was off the egss more than on, so I didn't think anything would come out of it. Soo.. I couldn't believe my eyes when I had two babies when I went out there to feed them today!! So exciting. HOWEVER, I am not ready to have baby chickens in the house... And I have too many roosters out there that don't think they would stand a chance. So, my question is, could i put them in a separate spot in the coop? We have a pretty small spot in there that I could fit mom and the babies and some food and water. Would this be okay, or does mom need more space? Also, what kind of food? Medicated or food aimed toward mom?

Thank you for any and all info. I need to move them soon as the rooster were poking their head in the nest box when she came out to eat today.

Thank you!!

Darcy

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    You can have an area where the mother can brood her babies as long as it has its own food and water and is separated from the roosters out there... Be sure that the water is not too deep so the babies don't drown...Best of wishes with your endeavor! Nancy

=======================================================
    Our current auctions are:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
    12+ Easter Egger Eggs (Lavendar Ameracauna rooster in pen!)
    10+ Wheaten Marans Hatching eggs

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's not as safe, of course, but you can leave the mama in with the flock, too. The other hens are much more likely to attack the chicks than the roos. If the mama does her job, she will defend the chicks. I have a batch growing up in the flock now, about 4 weeks. no problems. And I won't have to integrate the chicks later.

4. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I forgot to add that there's an other hen in there who sits often too?? Is it common for them to sit on the same batch of eggs? We have enough nest boxes, where she could sit somewhere else.

And, what about the food? Is it okay for the hen to get the medicated chick food as well?

THANKS!

ETA: I'm also in Wisconsin where it's very cold out yet! I'm assuming the hen will keep them warm, or should that be a reason to bring them inside?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by