help, baby chicks seizing?

fultonfamily

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
i just picked up shipped chicks, there was 1 dead, 1 almost dead in box. i got them water and then chick food, then within 20 min of drinking hen eating 2 acted like a seizure, chirping loud, twisting all over. not able to stand

This sounds like shipping stress. If you can get SaveAChick vitamins/electrolytes and mix them in the water--then start dipping their beaks in the water, while also giving them time to swallow each drink. Keep doing this all day. If you don't have electrolytes, you can use sugar water or this homemade electrolyte mix:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION courtesy of TheChickenChick
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate the links for information. That was helpful, I was really worried i had done something wrong! I ended up loosing 5 in total, The Post office was late in delivering them. The others seem to be well. I wondered if the seizures are due to suddenly getting water and food after dehydrating? Not much i could have done, they became very lethargic after seizures and died about 20 minutes later. Poor little guys. But perhaps your recipe saved the rest from the same fate. Thank you

I'm so glad that some of your chicks made it. I have seen chicks at farm stores suffering these same symptoms, since they are shipped in the mail also. When ordering chicks I prefer to get them from the closest hatchery, or even drive to one to pick up the chicks. It seems that the months where temperatures are moderate and not too hot or too cold, are better times to receive chicks in the mail. It also helps to notify the post office that you will be receiving chicks in the mail, and to look our for them, while also knowing the exact shipping date.

Back
Top Bottom