Help Baby pigeon dying

biophiliac

Traveler in BYCLand
Apr 22, 2016
DeForest, WI
So I started taking care of two baby pigeons that were two weeks old because their parents weren’t feeding them enough. I’ve been hand feeding them in the house for about two weeks and they were doing good until a few days ago they stopped standing up and got weaker and weaker... last night the smaller one died. I really need help to revive the other one!

Ive been feeding them ground up cereal, corn, oatmeal, almonds, wheat, and thawed peas. View attachment 2504315
Are you grinding it up enough that grit is not required?

GoldenFlight

Songster
5 Years
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
I don't think it's the fault of the diet you are giving. Are you feeding it as a gruel about the consistency of ketchup and at about body temperature?
I was giving them warm peas and room temperature powered seeds with water. The formula was like ketchup yes. I also offer them water multiple times a day and sometimes they take a drink.
Or are you giving water separately? You are waiting for the crop to empty between feelings and feeding about twice a day?
I feed twice a day unless the crop isn’t emptying as fast. A few times I did feed them while they had a little food left...
Does the remaining bird seem ill also? The one that died may have had Salmonella/paratyphoid, canker or something else, so hard to know. Sorry for your loss.
The bird I still have seems fine except it can’t stand up.

biophiliac

Traveler in BYCLand
Apr 22, 2016
DeForest, WI
The bird I still have seems fine except it can’t stand up.
I think all you can do it provide supportive care and keep your fingers crossed. I'd have to do some googling to recall which of the common pigeon diseases has difficulty walking as a symptom. There's no meds if it's a virus, but those are often mosquito born so unlikely this time of year. If it's Salmonella maybe an antibiotic could help? @Pyxis ?

Old_Strain_Lover

Songster
Apr 8, 2018
NY
I'm assuming you have a feeding syringe... do you have any all flock feed? even layer feed would do for now. If you do, then make a slurry out of the all flock/layer feed and warm water. Use the syringe and fill the baby up with it. Then keep an eye on it and make sure the crop stays soft (give extra water if it gets hard). It could be some kind of sickness such as canker or salmonella, but definitely looks like it's malnourished. I don't know how much you were feeding, but it might not have been enough. Try the all flock/layer feed and see if you can get some much needed nourishment and energy back into it.

GoldenFlight

Songster
5 Years
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
I'm assuming you have a feeding syringe... do you have any all flock feed? even layer feed would do for now. If you do, then make a slurry out of the all flock/layer feed and warm water. Use the syringe and fill the baby up with it. Then keep an eye on it and make sure the crop stays soft (give extra water if it gets hard). It could be some kind of sickness such as canker or salmonella, but definitely looks like it's malnourished. I don't know how much you were feeding, but it might not have been enough. Try the all flock/layer feed and see if you can get some much needed nourishment and energy back into it.
I have layer feed. I’ll do what you suggested over lunch time. Thank you!

Top Bottom