Help! Baby Robin Around Yard Has Some Wing Feathers What Do I Do?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by usschicago1, May 27, 2010.

1. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    There is a baby robin who must have fallen out of the nest. Actually it is a juvenile. It doesnt seem to be cold or anything but it cannot fly. if it leave it in the woods it will surely die! Do i intervene? Im going out to get pictures

2. BetsyOK

BetsyOK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Near Tulsa
    Are you sure the parent birds aren't around? Can you catch it and put it on a branch in a nearby tree where the parents can find it and feed it? If not, if it were me, I'd take it in and phone the Audubon Society or the nearest zoo for the number of a wildlife rehabber. It's actually against the law to have wild birds in captivity, but in this kind of situation, it is OK for the short time until you can reach a rehabber. I keep Kaytee baby bird feed on hand for this kind of situation, which happens fairly often in our rural setting.

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Betsy's suggestion for putting the bird in a tree is a correct one. The parents will continue to care for it and will continue to encourage it fly.

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    The Parents are pepping like crazy. its dark and i cannot find it and its peeping like crazy. Im going to look now and ill place it in a box for the night and first thing in the morning put it into a tree. Does that sound good, or just directly on the tree? theres countless predators around here, and the chickens certainly attract more.

Thanks guys!

5. beejentl

beejentl Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Vacaville CA
    I am a softy. I'd take it in until the morning.

6. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Is he completely feathered? Chances are he is a fledgling and will spend a few days on the ground gaining strength and exercising his wings (hard to stretch out in the nest when your brothers are crammed beside you). His parents will continue to feed him as he hops along. Risky, I know, but it is how it is done. If he is indeed a fledgling and is in harm's way (cats prowling about, lawnmowers close by etc) then I would remove him and contact my nearest rehabber. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by