1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! baby turkey with broken leg

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by somergal, Jul 9, 2009.

1. somergal

somergal New Egg

Jul 9, 2009
    picked up a baby turkey along the side of the road that had been hit by a car. It appears that she broke her leg. It's been 6 days and now she is able to get up on both legs for few seconds, one of her wings seems injured also. Any suggestions for how to splint it and take care of this wild baby turkey. We have been feeding her bird food, worms and water. I just want her to be able to go back into the wild without getting preyed upon. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    You can take pipe cleaners or Popsicle sticks and place on both sides of the break and then tape them on, making sure that the turkey can't bend its leg. Depending on how the injuries heal, it may never make it back to the wild, if it doesn't heal 100%

Call around in your area and see if there is a wildlife refuge around you, they would be more able to care and rehab to be released back in the wild if it can be and if it can't then they will home it in a safe place.

3. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    If you cant figure out the wildlife service then ask the parks department. They usually have a good person to refer you to.

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Parks Depts and fish and game often dispatch wildlife in need of rehab or care. Worked with them too often not to at least post the warning.

5. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    try to call authorites or firmly tape it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by