HELP baby turkeys eating each others beaks

alevine76

In the Brooder
May 18, 2015

Why are they doing this and how can I stop it

It will likely grow back without a scar. Beak is the same kind of keratin as fingernails. It will take a while to grow out, but it will grow out.

Two of them just died unexpectedly this morning. They were fine yesterday. One is showing some signs of illness, the other is fine. Not sure what kind of illness this is. They aren't wheezing, they were eating and drinking yesterday. The tow I found this morning were nearly lifeless when found and just never came back from it. Thoughts?

Missouri had avian flu hit turkeys to my knowledge.
Not sure if you're near there, but I'm glad I got mine months ago.

My first solution to random ailments is adding some sugar to water. If not wheezing or any discernible ailment, try that. Maybe someone else would know more. Hope all is well.

Two of them just died unexpectedly this morning. They were fine yesterday. One is showing some signs of illness, the other is fine. Not sure what kind of illness this is. They aren't wheezing, they were eating and drinking yesterday. The tow I found this morning were nearly lifeless when found and just never came back from it. Thoughts?

Without knowing how many poults are in what sort of brooder setup, being provided with what kind of feed, it is difficult to guess. You did separate out those with damaged beaks?

Missouri had avian flu hit turkeys to my knowledge.

Not sure if you're near there, but I'm glad I got mine months ago.

My first solution to random ailments is adding some sugar to water. If not wheezing or any discernible ailment, try that. Maybe someone else would know more. Hope all is well. 

This is a good site that is updated often, re: H5N2 :
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...-flu-resurfaces-missouri-hits-more-iowa-farms

We had four babies being housed in our garden shed so that they wouldn't be hurt by our adults. They are fed a high quality grain mixture made locally by a neighboring farmer. They had a quardoned off area with heat light, fresh water with electrolytes and feed (plus meal worms as treats). They got out to play at least every other day and had a window they could see out into the yard. They were very happy and active. The first one who died didn't have any beak issues. Then two more followed suit. One survived unscathed. She is now in the house in our spare room in case there was something in the housing area that got to them or caused their illness. They seemed to be having seizures.

Back
Top Bottom