Help.....bald bloody head!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimf, Mar 16, 2012.

1. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    One of my 7 chickens (2 australorps, 2 BO 1 NHR, 1 BP and a white crested Polish) started laying last weekend. I went out today to get the egg and noticed my Polish has a bald bloody spot about the size of a quarter/half dollar on the crown of her head. I can only assume one (or more) of the others are peeking at her. Why all of a sudden?? They all arrived in the same box on the same day from the same hatchery. She is the smallest, but has not been picked on before. She is not the one laying either as she will lay white eggs (from my understanding) and the eggs are brown.

I put some antibiotic ointment on her and will separate her if needed. Thoughts???? I am very sad! [​IMG]She is sooo sweet!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Unfortunately, it's not unusual for Polish and similar breeds to get pecked this way, as if the topknot attracts pecking. You will likely have to separate her til she is healed. Then, perhaps you can identify one or two who are the bullies, and separate them for a week or so, to make them lower in the pecking order.

3. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    Thanks! We have her separated and are putting antibiotic ointment on her. My concern is that is has, apparently, started in the last day or two. I am positive she was not injured last Sunday when I cleaned out the coop and I didn't notice it this week as I collected eggs. Could it be related to the new egg laying by one of the other hens?

I have 3 EE and 2 more Polish arriving in early April. I wonder if more that one Polish will help the flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by