Help! Bald Spot on my 3 week old baby chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoccerMomof7, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay here is the deal I bought these 3 baby chicks about a weeks ago and at first they were inside my house in a big cage (2ftx8ftx3ft) and now I have moved them outside. I alternate red (for night) and white (for day) heat bulbs, I have been feeding them start&grow chick feed and they are still pecking each other. I don't know what else to do. With the red llights the pecking has gotten alot better but there are these horrible looking bald/raw spots on their backs now, I have bought and used twice Pine Tar. I don't even know if I am doing this right but I think it is drying them out...WHAT DO I DO? I am trying to everything right but what am I forgeting???

2. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hmmm. Supplement their diet with cooked egg yolk, to up their protein, and use the red heat lamp all the time. ? Most people on this forum seem to use Blukote to treat/protect raw spots.

3. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    some folks said that bearing grease works well to keep them from picking at each other. Just put it one the spots and they dont like the taste or feeling on their beaks.

4. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Put the bearing grease on there. I guarantee it will work. Reapply it everytime you even think they are starting to peck one another.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by