HELP! Bator temp spiked for no reason - lost cause?!

spookyevilone

Crazy Quail Lady
14 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Minneapolis
The hen that's setting is still setting on two eggs, but I've got a bunch in the 'bator. The earliest of them is due on 12/5, the rest go up in day stages from there.

The 'bator's a Little Giant with the fan adapter, using an AcuRite temp/humidity gauge. It's been steady between 99.5 and 100.1 except for turnings, with 38-45% humidity the entire time.

Last night, the temp spiked for no reason to 107.1 for a period of time between turnings - I don't know how long. I don't know if it was an accurate read, because the mercury therm in the tank (the free one that came with the bator) wasn't registering over 100. I swapped out the AcuRite's battery but it still read 107.1 until I opened the bator. I quickly turned the eggs and moved them more over by the fan. I didn't want to drop the temp too quickly, so I monitored it and took it back down in stages over the next half hour.

I have NO IDEA why it spiked
sad.png
Nothing changed in the environment - not the lights, not the heat in the house, not the stuff around them, airholes weren't blocked. My only thought was that maybe one of the cats curled up next to or on the 'bator so they've been banished to the basement until the eggs hatch.

Has anyone else had this happen? Did the stupid spike just cook my chicks?
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
What temps can they handle? Is there any hope they'll hatch now? AUUUGH!!! This is so frustrating!!
sad.png

barnie.gif

-Spooky

Spookyevilone,

I had a temp spike up to 105 on my last clutch of 120 eggs. It happened on the 15th day in the hatcher. The spike could have lasted up to four hours but I don't know actually how long it was. I ended up hatching 82 out of the 120. I was able to keep the humidity levels in check even throughout the spike and I believe that allowed me to still have some success. It's just going to be a wait and see type process for you. Best of luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Brad

Thanks, Brad! That gives me hope that at least some of them may make it even if it was an accurate read. This is my first incubated clutch of button eggs and I'm stupidly excited about it. Then it had to go and spike! GRR!

CountryMom, what do you use as a 'bator? I have the LG and I have a still air Hovabator. The Hova is oldschool with disk .. thingies.. and what looks like an allen wrench for the temp gauge and I can't get it to keep a steady temp. My plan is to use it as a brooder. I tried building a 'bator but failed at it. Can't afford a cabinet style yet.

Ugh
sad.png
I hope the chickies make it. There are 3 eggs on Day 12, 1 on Day 11, and the rest are all under Day 10. I'm going to be a total wreck if at least one doesn't pip by this weekend. I realize this is having high expectations, because with so few eggs, my chances of hatching are thusly small.. but darnit! Want them to hatch!

-Spooky

I have two of the Hovabator 1602N which is the still air old fashioned kind like you are talking about. I hardly have to mess with mine really. It holds temps very well and I adjust the humidy when needed. I hatched out a TON of quail this year in both of those. One as a bator and one as a hatcher. If I had to purchase another table top I would go for the Hovabator that is the picture window with the circulated air - I think 1588. For now I am looking at purchasing my girlfriends used cabinet bator this spring.

Will keep my fingers crossed you get a pip out of your eggs. Just cuz I lost a batch doesn't mean you will. I just got so mad at that LG I didn't want to mess with it anymore. I only got it to hold temps maybe one day right. It wasn't right from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom