1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!- Bedding in my run.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reidymikenewbie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. reidymikenewbie

reidymikenewbie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    I've been researching for the past couple days now on what the bedding (or "ground material") should be for my chickens. I've read about bare ground (just dirt), hay/ straw, large wood chips, deep bedding practices, sand, and I'm sure there are many more options out there. I'm about to be a first time owner of Rhode Island Reds-my first chickens ever- and I truly have no idea what the bedding should be [​IMG](in the coop as well as the run.)!! Please help, it's much appreciated! [​IMG] (P.S. --- I Iive in central Massachusetts.)

2. reidymikenewbie

reidymikenewbie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm all set now, I asked Andy Schneider (The Chicken Whisperer) ,during his daily radio show, what I should use and he gave great advice! -Till the land deep - 1/4 to 1/2 inch of lime(careful can burn their feet) -and a good 4-6 inches of large wood chips (oak or pine preferably). This set-up only gets cleaned out three times a year!! Thanks so much to Andy on this one.

3. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Nice! Thanks for sharing your findings. I think bedding can be according to personal preference, too. I think so long as you can keep it clean and comfy for the chickens, it'll be good.

By the way, welcome to BYC!

4. BigdaddySean

BigdaddySean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    I use river sand, and I love it... Super easy to keep clean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by