HELP! Birdsmouths on treated wood for run rafters?

Nothing wrong with using treated lumber for rafters, just not necessary. Using it on the sidewalls under hardware cloth is a good idea. Treated lumber is usually sold wet (and heavy) but will be about the same weight as regular construction lumber after it dries. Slabcrappy is right...you should use screws or nails that are specifically made for treated lumber. Either galvanized nails or "deck" screws. I like screws because it makes it easier when I change my mind. If using screws, drill a clearance hole, the same diameter as the screw, in the top board. Normally a pilot hole isn't needed in the bottom board unless you are screwing close to the end where splitting might occure.

Paul

I can send you a truss design for a gable truss for a 10' span if you need it. I usually sell the plans but I can hook you up if you need a design for a 30 degree angle roof for you coop. The design look like this.

Thanks for all the replies! We ended up taking back the treated wood and going with 2x6x12s, untreated. We do have the special treated wood screws and used those to attach the frame.

thecoopbuilder - thanks for offering the design, we just did a simple 8' sloping to 5' roof.

Back
Top Bottom