1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Black marks/Cuts/Sores on my chickens!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ecollins7, Dec 10, 2014.

1. ecollins7

ecollins7 Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2014
    Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me!! I am a first time chicken owner so all of this is new to me! I have White Leghorn chickens, my rooster has a large black mark/cut/sore and some of my hens have very similar but smaller markings on them as well. I have included pictures below of my rooster and one of my hens (sorry they are not the best quality). If anyone has any idea of what this could be and what to do please let me know!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Peck marks possibly on the comb from blood, but the wattles could be injury, pecking, or even possible frostbite (from wattle getting wet in freezing weather.) Is it very cold where you live? Has your rooster been picked on by another rooster, or could there be sharp objects where he may have been injured? They can heal on their own, or you can apply some betadine or iodine to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by