Help-Black Patch on wattle, is this fowl pox?

dollychickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
Hi All

I need some help here, I am a beginner for back yard chickens. Recently I found out two of my girls have some black patches on their wattle, my little Orpington girl only just start to develop wattle. I did some research and think could it be fowl pox?? we have wild birds and pigeons around, and they always hang around to steal my chicken food. I am working during day time, and I leave my chickens running around my back yard during day time. They could get infection by mosquitoes.

Here is my little Orpington girl, I am not 100% sure if she is pure breed. My she always has black face/comb since she was a baby.
Is this normal? or she got pox infection on her comb as well?
Here is my blue Australorp X girl, see she has a black patch on left hand side as well.
Here is another patch inside of right hand side wattle.

These two girls sleep in the same coop at night time. It's summer here, temperature is about 22 degree today. I clean their coop everyday and wash food/water plates everyday.

Can someone please help me identify what's wrong with them? What should I do to treat these? I can not afford to lose them as I love them so much.

The spots on the BA look like they could be fowl pox. Fowl pox is a virus carried by mosquitoes. There is no treatment, as with most viruses. Once they have it, they are immune for life. There is a vaccine but it won't stop the disease once they have it. For the most part, the dry form (on combs and wattles) will run its course and disappear in 3 weeks. If they get the wet form (in the mouth and throat) it is much more serious, even fatal. Sometimes you can nurse them through it by removing the scabs so their airway doesn't get vlocked.

Sometimes people treat they dry form by dabbing the lesions with a little Neosporin, dilurte Betadine, or other topical, to revent a secondary bacterial infection. When mine had it, I treated them this way once, then ignored it, and they did fine.

Back
Top Bottom