Help! Bleeding head wound (Pictures added)

It might not be a very big wound. When they get even a little knick in the comb or wattles, they can bleed like crazy. Get the blood cleaned up good or the others will peck at her. Also, if you have some Blu Kote, spray it on good. I got some back with I first started raising chickens and it is one thing I will not be caught without. You never know what one of the birds are going to get pecked or somehow injure one of these parts and the Blu Kote has kept a few of mine from being pecked to death after a little knick in their comb.

Good luck. She looks like a healthy bird, so I bet she will be fine.

The comb area has a great blood supply and will bleed a lot and seem much worse than it is. I would wash it tomorrow (it may bleed again) and apply a little pressure and it should stop. Then I would apply Blu Kote to keep the rest of the flock away from it. She should be fine. Just watch her and apply more Blu Kote as it wears off.

Nuther update! I took your advice and went out and purchased some blu kote. Today I washed her head and got as much of the dry blood off as I could. It turns out the wound was not a puncture at all, but somehow she tore the back of her comb and that was where it was all coming from. Another chicken must have grabbed her and tore it. I put blu kote on it and she looks very silly but hopefully it will keep the other chickens from bothering it. She's drying now away from the flock, and tonight when they're sleeping I'll put her back in among the others and check in the morning to make sure she's getting along well.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
smile.png
It sure helped me! I think I freaked out a little when I saw the blood, I am definitely not a blood person!!

Back
Top Bottom