HELP!! Bloated baby goat

It  sounds like your kid may have entero although without seeing him it's hard to tell for sure. You really need to find some clostridium perfingens antitoxin.  You ought to be able to find it at any livestock supply or feed store that carries vaccines.    Be sure you yet antitoxin and not toxoid.  When you get it, give it under the skin.  Draw up another dose in the syringe, remove the needle and give this dose orally. If you don't see improvement in about 20 minutes, repeat.  Some penicillin both under the skin and orally will help too. As I said before, if he doesn't have entero the antitoxin won't hurt him, but if he does, without the antitoxin his chances of survival are slim.

So CDT vaccine is the wrong thing?

**UPDATE**
After he had the gas-x over night he is not bloated today. He had 6oz of milk this morning and didn't bloat. Should I still give him the C&D Antitoxin anyways (it's really hard to find) checked the local tractor supply's around here and they do not sell it. All they have is CDT Toxiod. Can I give him the CDT or just let it be for now since he is not bloated anymore?
By the way thank you all for your replies!

CD/T is for prevention. It is useless for treatment. One thing about entero, vaccination with CD/T goes a long way in preventing entero, but no vaccine is ever 100% effective. I vaccinated my kids with CD/T shortly after they were born and then every three or four weeks until after weaning. But I always kept antitoxin and GasX on hand for emergencies. Where I used to live, entero was so common that when a goat appeared ill, we treated it for entero and then worried about what else was wrong with it. One vet who should know told me the prevalence of entero we had in our area had something to do with the pH of the soil and I think he was right.

CD/T is for prevention.  It is useless for treatment. One thing about entero, vaccination with CD/T goes a long way in preventing entero, but no vaccine is ever 100% effective.  I vaccinated my kids with CD/T shortly after they were born and then every three or four weeks until after weaning.  But I always kept antitoxin and GasX on hand for emergencies.  Where I used to live, entero was so common that when a goat appeared ill, we treated it for entero and then worried about what else was wrong with it.  One vet who should know told me the prevalence of entero we had in our area had something to do with the pH of the soil and I think he was right.

So since he doesn't show signs of bloating now should I give him the CDT? I bought some this morning

I didn't read your post through like I should have. If he is not bloated and he is acting OK, don't worry about giving the antitoxin. Do give the CD/T. Keep looking for the antitoxin though. You may never need it, but it is cheap insurance. That is something I always, and I do mean always, kept on hand. When you need it, you need it now. Entero is a true emergency. So is bloat. Which is why I was never out of GasX either.

One thing I didn't mention. Entertoxemia antitoxin is labeled clostridium perfingens antitoxin, not CD/T antitoxin. If you look for CD/T antitoxin you aren't going to find it.

Glad to hear your kid is better. He could have just had a case of indigestion. Personally, if I were you, I would switch him over to plain old cow milk from the store. You will have a lot less problems with milk than you will with any replacer ever made. I'll tell you what I used to like to do with replacer though. I mixed a little in the grain of weaned kids. Made them nice and shiny.

Gus is enjoying the sun after his second bottle. No signs of bloating so far!
Thanks everyone for the replies I will keep y'all updated!

Are you feeding milk or milk replacer. Scours are usually from inconsistent feeding. It's important to feed the same amount, the same temperature, the same mix if it's replacer, the same time. Any deviations can cause scouring. It's best to stop feeding and just give some water in place of the milk or replacer and see if they firm up, or cut the amount of milk in half. That's where I would start. Don't let them convince you to feed more. I always give them some water after a bottle. About a 1/4 of the milk amount to satisfy them.

Back
Top Bottom