1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! - bloated crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SteveM, Mar 28, 2011.

1. SteveM

SteveM New Egg

Jun 9, 2009
    I have a three year-old Black Star hen with a huge crop. She was one of my heaviest/strongest birds until about a week ago. I noticed her getting lethargic and not eating with the others. I'm assuming she was the one having watery poop (with a little green in it), but she wasn't segregated at that point. The birds have just resumed outside foraging (only an hour or so per day due to hawks) after a long winter. They are eating some fresh grass when they get out.

Anyway, she was very skinny and I thought she might have coccidiosis and put her on medicated chick food before realizing her crop was impacted. She ate some of that and ate some bread crumbs and drank a bunch of water when I brought her in the garage. Yesterday, I found her crop was huge, and she's making gurgling sounds. So, last night I added Apple Cider Vinegar to her vitamin water, and she is drinking some. Also gave her bread crumbs soaked in olive oil, and she ate a little. Tried massaging her crop downward, but it caused her to regurgitate and more gurgling sounds. She had a small poop overnight. More than watery, but still diarhea.

Can anyone tell if we are making progress towards a good outcome here? I never had this happen yet in three years, so still learning.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    now try it.. the link above.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    I don't think I would they were talking about a bigger bird not a baby I think? and its sounds difficult enough that I'd be afraid to try to try it.. KIm

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    ?? try what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by