Help! Blood On Egg Shells ***WARNING-semi-graphic Images***

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rileysixchix, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Rileysixchix

Rileysixchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Everyone, I noticed a couple of days ago when i collected the eggs one had dried blood on two "sides" of the egg. I checked all of their vent areas not super closely, but i didnt notice anything majorly different. I thought it would just be that one time. Then today i got another egg with blood on the shell. It washes right off and there is no blood on the inside of the egg, or white or yolk. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? What do i need to do to make the bloody eggs stop? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    I have a hen that does this after she hasn't laid in a while. But I don't know what causes it, she will do it for about a week at the start of her laying season every year. Same hen every time. Maybe someone has some real answers. [​IMG]

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We get those once in a great while. I have no idea if it's the same one all the time-I don't know who lays which eggs.

4. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    It is a deficiency, I cannot remember of what sorry, but a good feed supplement and premium layer food ought to help.

5. Nightfeather

Nightfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    When It's your hens frist time laying eggs she will do this or if she hasn't layed eggs in a while they will do this just like how ourmpoultry said.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Its because she's a new layer, and her egg making equipment is still new and working out some kinks. You will also see this sometimes after molt. Totally normal.

7. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah, I got my wyandottes first egg today (wooo!) and it had some blood on it too. It's just beause she's probably a new egg layer.

8. That is the result of a broken blood vessel, and it will most likely resolve. I wouldn't worry about it. As they get more practice, it should go away. Normal, normal, normal. :) [​IMG]

9. Smallflockchickens

Smallflockchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Arizona
    My hens first egg had a little smear on it, but todays egg was perfectly normal!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by