HELP Blue Heeler threatened

Invisible fencing will work with most dogs, if they are properly trained to it. You can bury the perimeter wire yourself, or have it done, and take the collars and the central control with you when you move. Your dog can't ever be allowed to harass people passing by!!! We have over fifty acres, and our dogs are fenced in about an acre at the house. Safe and secure. Mary

I cannot fence the yard. Believe it or not I rent on 30 acres with two dogs, two cats and chickens. (Really awesome landlord) I can't afford to fence a yard and he's not going to pay for it. I really think the collar is my best option for distance attention getting.

What a great setup for you! You obviously have a good handle on what will work for you, but I did just want to throw out there that the SportDog fence we are using cost around $250 with everything you need. My husband rented a trencher thing from the local hardware store for $25 and had the whole acre trenched in less than an hour. The trenches filled in and grew over in the following month and you would never know where the wire was laid now. I doubt your landlord would have a problem with this setup.

Both of my dogs (a greyhound/shepherd mix and a boxer/terrier mix) are super friendly dogs, but they have our UPS and FedEx guys fooled! They either dump our packages along the driveway or won't deliver when they are out. They behave much like your dog...they have never bitten, but they are big and have big barks and that is enough to do the trick! These dogs...

@TeeMom
I appreciate your comments. I was hoping to stay under the $200 mark as this is an unexpected expense. A collar will also be a quicker solution. With a fence I have to install it then train. We got snow again here in Ohio...yard work is not an option. :D

@TeeMom
I appreciate your comments. I was hoping to stay under the $200 mark as this is an unexpected expense. A collar will also be a quicker solution. With a fence I have to install it then train. We got snow again here in Ohio...yard work is not an option.
big_smile.png

I totally understand! Animals have a way of costing us far more than we could ever anticipate!
wink.png
Good luck to you!

they also sell models that have no wires and emit the correction if the dog goes over a certain distance from the house.
believe me, the expense of the fence is much cheaper than a potential lawsuit. You can even be sued if your dog doesn't even TOUCH the person - all they have to prove is that your dog charging is the reason they fell. IE your dog startled them and they were afraid and in trying to remove themselves from your dog's vicinity they hurt themselves.
This is also why it's best to have the line of the invisible fence well back from the road.

yes, that is true. But I'm talking if she doesn't even leave the confined area. Since invisible fences are "invisible" she will look free to someone passing by. That's why it's best to have the fenceline well back from public areas.
I've heard of people being sued because it looked like the dog was going to leave the yard and there was no visible barrier to stop them. The passerby steps backward from what they think is a loose dog, twists their ankle stepping off the curb, and viola. You have a lawsuit for medical bills, even if your dog doesn't leave your property. However, if the fence is well back from the road, the dog stops long before reaching that point.

I see a lot of people who have the i-fence running along the property line. Which leaves the dog free to run almost to the public area. And that also makes it more likely that a dog will run through - the thing they want is right there, almost touching, and they forget themselves in the drive.

Another potential solution if the dog is only out for short unsupervised breaks, would be to get some t-posts and put of the plastic netting used at construction sites. Or even chicken wire. Just something to denote to the dog that they aren't allowed past this area.

Back
Top Bottom