HELP! BR Hen acting strange!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by somissemilyy, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Just earlier I was petting my BR hen's broad breast area, cause she was sitting on a stick and I was feeling her and she has something bulging out of her chest. Like you can't tell it's there but when you feel it and move feathers out of the way it's like a pouch of something, its covered by skin and little bit of feathers. You can't really tell anything is there by looking at her you have to feel. It's like a pouch of something and I'm not sure. She's acting strange. Staying in the pen when I have all the others free ranging, she's not running around.. She is just sitting around on some sticks I have connected in the pen! Help please, this is one of my babies!

If pics are needed let me know, but like I said you can't tell. You just have to feel it.

2. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    anyone, please?

3. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Please Help!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds as though you are feeling the crop on the right side of the chest under the neck. It should feel full in the evening and empty in the morning if she isn't eating at night. If it is the crop it is normal.

5. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Quote:No I don't think that's it. It's not on her neck, its near her chest. She's never been like this. I don't know what's wrong.

6. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    The crop shouldn't be on the neck, it should be on the chest on the right side.

When you were petting her, had you just fed them treats? Did you notice a smell like sour milk when you were petting her? If so, it could be sour crop.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Well, her behavior is certainly not normal, poor dear. Take note of whether or not she is eating and drinking and whether or not her poo is normal (you may have to separate her to accomplish all of this if you can't watch very closely in person - maybe a nice large dog carrier with fluffy pine shavings to rest on and all her creature comforts close at hand inside of it and her buddies nearby so they can still chat).

How old is she?
    Has she been laying eggs?
    Do you know when the last one was that was definitely from her?
    Is her comb nice and red?
    Do you think her weight is okay? (pick her up and compare to others - a healthy barred rock might be 5 pounds or more...).
    What is her diet?
    Does she have oyster shell available to her?
    Did you check her closely for any injuries?
    Any newcomers to your flock recently?
    How long has she been acting abnormally?

Please add anything and everything else you can think of that might lend any clues for BYC folks reading your posts.

JJ

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  8. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Quote:How old is she? Not sure, but she is in laying age.
    Has she been laying eggs? Not recently. She has been sitting though. (I have not been able to keep layer pellets around since I still have young ones always around.)
    Do you know when the last one was that was definitely from her? 2 days ago?
    Is her comb nice and red? Very!
    Do you think her weight is okay? (pick her up and compare to others - a healthy barred rock might be 5 pounds or more...). Yes, I have picked her up several times today, weight is fine.
    What is her diet? Free ranging, & non medicated chick grower i have seen her eat & I threw some scratch out
    Does she have oyster shell available to her? No
    Did you check her closely for any injuries? Yes, I mentioned that in the above posts.
    Any newcomers to your flock recently? No
    How long has she been acting abnormally? Yes
    (just this afternoon, sorry for not making myself clear on that)

Please help, if anything else for questions let me know! Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:I know you meant to write something else - can you provide info?

Not having layer food and not having oyster shell may have created a serious problem with forming egg shells - she could be eggbound. Hens must have calcium in adequate amounts to be able to form their eggshells. I would immediately ensure that oyster shell is available 24/7.

Just in case she is eggbound give her a Tums crushed in a bit of water, just enough to flow easily through a dropper and to be easily swallowed. Dribble mixture gently along her beak line, so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke. She may also need to sit in a warm bath - this can sometimes help get the egg out (use the search tab above and enter 'eggbound' for more info). Also, keep her really comfy in an area that is darkened much of the time so that she stops producing eggs until you're sure the next one comes out okay (if the lead one is stuck, new ones will continue to form, they will get backed up in her and can easily cause heart failure and death).
    If she's already asleep for the night I might wait until the morning to do these things.....unless she can't sleep and is clearly uncomfortable.

What are the temps of her coop and the outdoors lately? Is she doing any panting?

I may not be able to check back again today - hopefully others will also see your thread. Continue to post with any tidbits of info you can think of - while helping to diagnose, this will also bring your thread back up to the top of those seen....

Hoping this will all get sorted out and that she will be okay.
    JJ

10. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Quote:I know you meant to write something else - can you provide info?

Not having layer food and not having oyster shell may have created a serious problem with forming egg shells - she could be eggbound. Hens must have calcium in adequate amounts to be able to form their eggshells. I would immediately ensure that oyster shell is available 24/7.

Just in case she is eggbound give her a Tums crushed in a bit of water, just enough to flow easily through a dropper and to be easily swallowed. Dribble mixture gently along her beak line, so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke. She may also need to sit in a warm bath - this can sometimes help get the egg out (use the search tab above and enter 'eggbound' for more info). Also, keep her really comfy in an area that is darkened much of the time so that she stops producing eggs until you're sure the next one comes out okay (if the lead one is stuck, new ones will continue to form, they will get backed up in her and can easily cause heart failure and death).
    If she's already asleep for the night I might wait until the morning to do these things.....unless she can't sleep and is clearly uncomfortable.

What are the temps of her coop and the outdoors lately? Is she doing any panting?

I may not be able to check back again today - hopefully others will also see your thread. Continue to post with any tidbits of info you can think of - while helping to diagnose, this will also bring your thread back up to the top of those seen....

Hoping this will all get sorted out and that she will be okay.
    JJ

She isn't acting normally. When I let out to free range, she didn't budge to even move. I don't think she is egg bound. The reason she hasn't been getting layer food is cause I have 14 other chickens that are 14 weeks old, and if I put it down they go to town. It's extremely HARD to keep the food separated, especially when the younger ones can't have it yet.. I will try to separate her to give her some layer food and pellets.

It has been hot around her. North MS. But it rained, so the temp has changed. I'm saying the mid 70's & low 80's at the moment now. No one was panting today. She wasn't panting.

Thanks for all your help JJ! I will try to keep posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by