HELP breathing problems

joannesdogs

Hatching
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice, my young cockeral is having real problems breathing, is lethargic and the tips of his comb are going black

He had a cough/wheezing problem a month ago and antibiotics cleared it up. But it has come back with avengance, I took him to the vet a couple of days ago and the vet on duty didn't know anything abount birds? so just prescribed him with another course of antibiotics. I put him in a cage in the house under a heat lamp, with a ioniser containing water and olbas oil next to the cage.

The first day he seemed to be throwing himself around trying to clear his breathing, he picked up in the evening and started to eat and drink. Yesterday he was a bit lethargic but still perked up on being picked up. However today he is very lethargic, head and wings down, slimy stuff coming from his mouth, gasping and the tips of his comb have turned black. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can ease his breathing? I think that this is the problem. BTW he has been treated for worms.

thanks in advance

Quote:
Two things come to mind; gapeworm or he has a heart valve/heart problem. What was the name of the wormer you used? Wormers that will kill gapeworm are valbazen, safeguard and ivomec products. A heart condition can cause the comb turning black due to the lack of enough oxygen being carried in the blood to the outer extremities, lethargy would occur too. If it is a heart condition, there's not much you can do about it.

Back
Top Bottom