HELP: Broken Leg!!!

Toosocs4

In the Brooder
May 29, 2015
6 week old glw seems to have broken/dislocated her right leg. Joint is swollen and that leg is lighter than the other. I have her isolated. What can I do to help her? It doesn't seem like she's in obvious pain, just limps every so often. Thanks!

Last edited:
It looks like she has a slipped tendon.

It is possible to fix it, but it does hurt, and it's not necessarily a guarantee it won't slip again.

I would Google "chicken slipped tendon" and see if that matches what you see!

I hope that helps.

MrsB

There is a good thread to read by going to the top of this page and entering "slipped tendon--anyone try to fix this?" in the search box. There are many links in that thread to look at for leg bone deformities and slipped tendons. The chick in the thread is still thriving I think. Chances are slim to cure the problem, but many people give those chicks a chance to try to live a normal life as long as possible with extra care. Read as much as you can, and then proceed from there.

for anyone who wants an update I culled her yesterday. I didn't intervene for the first few days so there was no chance of the tendon healing in place. I learned about this issue so thats one thing that came out of a sad end.

Back
Top Bottom