Help! Broody BO Hen

tomofhb

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
I have a broody Buff Orphington hen who is almost 1 year old. She's been broody for over 2 weeks now. Prior to this she was a good layer. She's taken permanent residence in one of the nesting boxes and won't let my other hens lay in any of the nesting boxes. As a result production is down.

I tried putting her in water, but this didn't work or help. I cant go and buy a rabbit hutch I don't have the room for one.

My feed store guys told me to buy a couple chicks for her. I'm considering this option however, here is my question I hope you all can help me with.

If I get her a couple chicks, will my BO go broody again after the chicks grow up? Will she do this every year? I'd love to buy new chicks every time I have a broody hen, but I'm limited to 6 hens in my city.

Any ideas?

She won't be broody for quite a while I imagine. Rather satisfied with raising a few chicks.

-OR-

You can separate her away from the nesting box - with food and water - for 3-4 days. This has worked with our broody BO's. We used chicken wire and created a little area in the run just for her.

You will tell by her behavior (no longer making those territorial broody clucks and overall 'less fluffy' look) that she is back to normal.

Last edited:
So I wanted to post an update on how my Buff Orphington, Rosie, is doing.

I didn't buy her any chicks, dunk her in water, or put her In a separate cage. I did pick her up out of the nesting box and set her down on the lawn, almost everyday.

Lately, when I let the other hens out to free range, she also joins them. She does still sit in the nest box but she doesn't do it all day long. She is no longer all fluffed up. Hopefully she'll put back on the weight she lost and I hope she gets her color back into her comb.

Thanks for all your support.

Oh also she is not back to laying yet. Hopefully she will soon.

Back
Top Bottom