1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, broody for 6 weeks with no eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly FG, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    My silly buff orp Sunny has been broody for six weeks. We don't have a roo & I'm not planning on hatching any babies. We take the eggs laid by the rest of flock out daily. I've tried wetting her down, locking her out of the coop during the day & many other things. It seemed a few days ago like she had given up, she was on the roost at bedtime instead of in the nest, but by morning she was back in the empty nest.
    She is skinny as can be, her comb is chaulky looking. I take out out at least three times a day & make her eat & drink. Sometimes she'll take a turbo dustbath & scream at the rest of the flock a bit, then she goes right back to setting.
    If she did have eggs they would have hatched exactly three weeks ago. I only have a small backyard flock & I really have no way to seperate her & keep her safe at night.
    Any other tricks?

2. andischickenfarm

andischickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Well, when one of my hens goes broody and I don't want no chicks here is what I do: I lock her up in a small cage inside my chicken house. I give her corn chops and water and I'll leave her there for at least a week. And that seems to do the trick for me! Hope this helps!

Andi

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    What are corn chops?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

corn chops?

I put the broody in a wire bottom cage and hang it up. Wind on the bottom makes them unhappy and not want to sit.

5. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    When we had a hen that went broody, we used to give her a bath. Just a quick dunk. Made them mad as a wet hen. But it worked.

Rufus

6. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

andischickenfarm: Pleeeeeeze tell us what corn chops are! It sounds so interesting. Is it a local word? I’m new to chickens and love words so being able to throw ‘corn chops’ into a conversation would make my day. Do tell!

So is broody a really bad thing? I guess if they won’t eat, or if you really want that one egg it could be. But doesn’t it end by itself? Or is that chicken going to wait until that unfertilized egg hatches…or rots? Ugh.

7. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi, corns chops from my neck of the woods is just chopped up corn. [​IMG]
    They way I break my broodys is just keep taking them off the nest over & over again.They give up after awhile.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  8. ChurroBurro

ChurroBurro Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2017
    I know this is really old, but I'm hoping you found a solution or she naturally quit. I'm going through this right now with my buff orp. Ugh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by