HELP! buff collapsed 3/4 days ago and now again?

Dom95

Chirping
Mar 7, 2021
My 2 year old buff Orpington collapsed 3/4 days ago on her side.
Was walking, paused and then started walking but stumbled and collapsed. Her head was neck twisting and she was like that for an hour.
Brought her into the vet and they saw her head bob but after another hour she bounced back and was walking around normally.
We did some blood tests and everything seemed normal.
Ate and drank normally over the past few days and was walking around.
The only thing off was her really sour poop that was sometimes jelly like the last 2 days.
Today 3/4 days later she was walking and collapsed again into a stumble and couldn’t focus like she was dizzy when we tried to get her a treat.
We were worried at first for the avian flu but she would’ve been dead by now or mareks but the doctor said she wouldn’t have gotten back up and bounced back out it. The leg would have continued to worsen.

I’m not sure what’s going on can anyone help? Or experienced something similar? Thanks

Purple generally indicates a heart/low oxygen problem.
We had her heart and airways checked and they said it sounded perfect. Also had a panel done and came back normal. I asked her again if she thought it’s as Mareks and thinks it’s a very low chance because of the way she keeps bouncing back. They think possible seizures now from unknown source of trauma

Was walking, paused and then started walking but stumbled and collapsed. Her head was neck twisting and she was like that for an hour.

The only thing off was her really sour poop that was sometimes jelly like the last 2 days.
Today 3/4 days later she was walking and collapsed again into a stumble and couldn’t focus like she was dizzy
You don't mention if she's currently laying eggs.

Can you get some photos of the sour poop that is like jelly? Did the vet run a fecal float on a poop sample to see if worms might be part of the problem?

What do you feed, including treats?

The neck twisting is a neurological symptom. Whether it's caused by disease like Marek's or some other condition, you can try offering vitamin therapy for a couple of weeks to see if it makes any difference. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg to help with the uptake of E.

Do look her over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight and feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for any bloat/swelling or fluid.

You don't mention if she's currently laying eggs.

Can you get some photos of the sour poop that is like jelly? Did the vet run a fecal float on a poop sample to see if worms might be part of the problem?

What do you feed, including treats?

The neck twisting is a neurological symptom. Whether it's caused by disease like Marek's or some other condition, you can try offering vitamin therapy for a couple of weeks to see if it makes any difference. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg to help with the uptake of E.

Do look her over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight and feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for any bloat/swelling or fluid.
We actually took her in yesterday to the vet and mentioned she has had egg yolk peritonitis in the past. Would mites cause these type of symptoms of possible random leg paralysis and head tremors?
It has almost been 6/7 days since she last laid an egg but we figured it might be all the stress?
I actually gave her b complex this morning and got E with an egg to see if it helps theses episodes.
I asked to run all the tests but I don’t think they did a fecal float. Could worms cause this as well?

I’m terrified of Mareks. I’ve had one doctor tell me to keep her separate and the other said to let her be with everyone. I’m not sure what to do at this point.
The Vet keeps telling me it’s low on the list of possibilities bc of the bounce back but I’m not sure what else is causing these episodes.

Today her poop seems to be normalizing but this was the weird poop. Hard to tell but there was a huge jelly like mass in it

Attachments

• F7821576-184E-4B5A-BCB0-31935C55E3B4.jpeg
    F7821576-184E-4B5A-BCB0-31935C55E3B4.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Do you have your bill where it shows if they did a fecal float?
If it doesn't say, then call and ask.

There's blood in the poop. It's mucousy.
If she were mine, I would treat for worms and Coccidiosis. Maybe an antibiotic as well for infection. I'm not a vet though...

EYP is never cured. The symptoms can subside, but it's an ongoing condition. Reproductive disorders are common in laying hens. Often all you can do is treat symptoms. If there's lice/mites, then treat those. If the crop is not emptying, address that.
If you lose her, then having a necropsy would give you the most information as to whether she has Marek's disease or not. Unless she's being picked on or needs to be hand fed/tubed, then I would leave her with the flock. Is she has Marek's, your flock has already been exposed long ago.

Do you have your bill where it shows if they did a fecal float?
If it doesn't say, then call and ask.

There's blood in the poop. It's mucousy.
If she were mine, I would treat for worms and Coccidiosis. Maybe an antibiotic as well for infection. I'm not a vet though...

EYP is never cured. The symptoms can subside, but it's an ongoing condition. Reproductive disorders are common in laying hens. Often all you can do is treat symptoms. If there's lice/mites, then treat those. If the crop is not emptying, address that.
If you lose her, then having a necropsy would give you the most information as to whether she has Marek's disease or not. Unless she's being picked on or needs to be hand fed/tubed, then I would leave her with the flock. Is she has Marek's, your flock has already been exposed long ago.
Thank you so much. I’ll call the vet tomorrow. What route would go for the treatment of worms and cocci? We treated with corrid when they were younger but not sure the route to treat for both simultaneously.
Yeah everything else seems normal besides the two episodes she’s had and bounced back.
Currently they prescribed her preventative seizure meds to see if it was trauma that caused it and if the episodes stop altogether.

Back
Top Bottom