HELP. Buff Orphington doesn't want to lay eggs !!!

Annie2007

Chirping
Jun 2, 2020
Lincoln NE
I started raising my backyard chickens last year, I first bought 3 little chicks from my local Orscheln Farm & Home center ( We just bought three more baby chicks there too). The girls are now about 1 years old. I've got an Ameraucanas (we think) named Poky and a buff orphington named Yellowly. Poky has been laying eggs very consistently, but Yellowly in the other hand has begin to stop laying eggs for about 2 and a half month now. I don't know if there is anything I should be concerned about in Yellowly. We let the girls outside every morning until the evening. They find bugs and stuff to eat in the garden along with commercial feed. She seems to be eating and walking around fine. Is there something wrong with her?

~Annie~

Have you looked around your yard? She may have found another nest around the yard.
She does like to go under the deck a lot but we have recently decided to place a fence around that area. We have two nesting boxes that Poky still lays in and we currently only have two laying hens so I don't know why she would try to find another nest. But I will now look under the deck to check. Thanks for the advice :)

She does like to go under the deck a lot but we have recently decided to place a fence around that area. We have two nesting boxes that Poky still lays in and we currently only have two laying hens so I don't know why she would try to find another nest. But I will now look under the deck to check. Thanks for the advice :)
There's nothing wrong with her. Some hens are late layers.

I don't know why she would try to find another nest.
Because she can :D
Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom