Help! Bumble foot in ducks?

No problem, It's nice to see duck owners that care about their animals well being, and so open to new suggestions. First off you have some beautiful Calls, I have around fifteen myself. I am a bit surprised Bumblefoot is so prevalent throughout your flock, reason being Calls don't generally suffer from leg issues since they are so light-weight they don't apply as much pressure onto the ground.

The main issue I see with your setup has to do with the first picture, I see quite a bit of waste accumulation on the floor which can contribute to bumblefoot, but the main problem I see is the lack of cushioning on the floor, when waterfowl spend a majority of their time on hard compacted flooring they are at an increased risk for developing Bumblefoot (as in your case), arthritis, it may also contribute to obesity, and poor hygiene.

I would probably start adding a soft bedding material to the whole coop area, pine shavings, straw, and hay are great choices. It'll also need to be cleaned fairly regularly.
I'm not sure what to do because washing it more often would make the new bedding on the floor wet straight away wouldn't it? would astro turf work as a soft bedding?, because we have some of that In out shed I think, and it would be easier to clean?

I found this,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...l-turf-3-yrs-and-counting-with-ducks.1017110/

With straw, hay, or shaving's you would physically dispose of the bedding, no washing would be involved, as you said it'd turn into a stinky wet mess if you did.
Thank you, I think i will give them a sample of AstroTurf to see how they like it, I have a well with a water pump - so we don't have to pay for water so it feels like a waste not using it, they also kick out alot of water from their pond when splashing about so I think bedding would get wet anyway

EDIT: I gave them some sample astro and they loved it, however I'm afraid they might eat it, I saw them digging with their bills and tugging at bits but I don't think they've manage to get any yet. Do you think they'll figure out that it shouldn't be eaten (I'm going to check the comments of that thread see if anyone mentioned eating it, there)

Here's a photo of them and their little patch
IMG_20200602_195137_1.jpg

They already pooped in it lol, but I found the cleaning it fairly straight forward. Do you think I should go through with this?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom