help!!!!!! button quail

How are you housing your buttons? In colonies or pairs? Button quail are monogamous birds (one male, one female). A pair will kill "intruders." If a hen broods her own young, she even kicks them out of the territory when they mature.

The more details you provide, the better.

there are about 7 button quail in a 4x12 aviary but i have a pen with a male and 2 females in it but the females killed the male and a pen with 3 females and 2 males and one of the female got pecked badly but the others 4 do not peck one another

I really suggest pairing them up. They are killing each other because they are being territorial. Were you feeding them mealworms so the males could court the females?

How old are your buttons?

With the 7 you have in the one pen, how many males and how many females?

Plucking is a sign of stress and discomfort. If you pair the buttons up, I assure you the problem will stop.

Have you watched them to see which one is doing the feather plucking? I had a crazy little hen once that would pluck every feather out of any bird I put in her cage. She was just nuts and nothing made her happy so I got rid of her and haven't had any other problems since.

Another thing . . . what do you feed them? Lack of protein can cause pecking and too much protein can cause aggression.

You may just have a mean bird but I would try feeding them something with a little more protein. I feed all my quail a turkey feed, laying crumble, scratch mixture. Going easy on the scratch because mixed grains to caged birds is like candy to children. All my quail are healthy and happy and I have very little aggression problems.

Back
Top Bottom