Help Calculating Kid Milk Replacer per Feeding

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
I'm having a brain fart. Please help me figure out how to mix this kid milk replacer correctly so that my boy is getting what he needs.

Mixing directions for a standard goat kid:

My bucket of kid milk replacer calls for 3/4 cup of powder mixed mixed with water to produce a total volume of 1 pint of milk replacer solution for 1 feeding.

I have an 8-ounce bottle, which equals 1/2 pint. 3/4 cup divided by two is 3/8 of a cup of powder. Which means that I would use 1.5, 1/4 cup scoops per bottle.

BUT! The feeding directions for kids/lambs say that from days 2 - 10, you should feed 1/2 to 1 cup warm milk 4 times daily.

Conversions that may help:
8 ounces = 1 cup
2 cups = 1 pint
1 tablespoon = 1/2 fluid ounce

So, my question is: How do you interpret this information? Do I feed him a pint of milk per feeding or 1/2 to 1 cup per feeding?

Last edited:
Most people I know who use replacer have trouble. I prefer whole cows milk from the store. But if you are forced to use it, they recommend you use 1/2 the mfg recommendation, as the protein level is too high for goats. With that said, I would mix a pint, and store what you don't use in the refrig. for the baby's next feeding.

Yep I use whole milk and half&half ..or goats milk ...the cost of replacer compared to milk ...teh milk in the long run is cheaper and easier to use. You can even freeze whole milk and thaw it for when you need it...If you have to use replacer I would mix it with milk also and dilute the replacer with half the directions So when you mix it cut the directions in half and add the amount of water it calls for.
So for every cup of replacer I would add a cup of cows milk to it so it will curdle in the goats tummy and avoid the scours.

Back
Top Bottom