Help call duck has like egg membrane hanging from her

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandracollins, Mar 5, 2011.

1. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    My butterscotch duck was missing this morning and I found her under the wheelbarrow,I have found a couple of eggs there lately,so I thought she was just laying so I left her there . I went out this afternoon and checked and there was no egg and she was sitting on her own , when she got up to walk I saw that there was like a White string hanging from her vent.I picked her up and it looks like membrane from an egg , it is about 1and a quarter inches long , I tried to gently pull it but it is stuck .what do I do ? I have her in the warm bath at the moment . She is only starting to lay as she was last years bird. I have searched this site but can't find anything about ducks being egg bound

2. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    just give her warm bath. she should be ok. its probly the start of her laying.

3. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I left her in the bath for about an hour with some peas to dive for , she seemed quite happy in there then as it was nearly bed time for the ducks I put her back outside with the rest.I checked a while ago and she is asleep with the rest.The piece of what seems like membrane was still there when I checked should I keep her in tomorrow or let her be with the others but just watch her?

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:My concern would be the others possibly pulling on it. I think I would bring her in by herself where I could keep a good eye on her to make sure nothing else is going on.
    Sure hope she does OK for you.

5. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    easttxchick Have you ever had a egg bound duck ? I will bring her first thing in the morning ( its 12 40 am here in Ireland ) and do the bath again ,should i pull gently on it or leave it alone?

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It doesn't sound like eggbinding to me-it sounds like she hasn't passed a soft shell.
    Is she straining, like she's trying to pass anything? I wish I knew whether to tell you to pull on it or leave it be...I just can't make a call like that for you.
    Thank heavens, I have not yet dealt with egg binding in any of my ducks.

7. sandracollins

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    She seems fine this morning the membrane is gone and I cant find anything on the floor of the coop.She went into the coop again after she got fed and sat as if she was going to lay and I thought I would lock her in and watch her for the day but she made such a fuss and started the others off outside that I had to let her out. will watch her today and see how she goes.Thanks for all your help will keep you posted. Sandra

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Oh Sandra,

I was going to email you too see how Lance was doing and I have just seen this thread - I do hope she is OK... keep us updated!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by