Help! Can i swap roosters?

Jun 9, 2021
I have a 20 or so hen flock with a rooster among them. I have another rooster, who we keep in a seperate enclosure well away from the flock, because the two roosters have fought before. The rooster that is kept away seems lonely, and i (being the animal empath that i am) am wondering if i can swap their enclosures. Will the rooster that has been alone kill the hens for any reason? Like if they smell like the other rooster? Is it safe?

I have a 20 or so hen flock with a rooster among them. I have another rooster, who we keep in a seperate enclosure well away from the flock, because the two roosters have fought before. The rooster that is kept away seems lonely, and i (being the animal empath that i am) am wondering if i can swap their enclosures. Will the rooster that has been alone kill the hens for any reason? Like if they smell like the other rooster? Is it safe?
He should be fine (may take a bit for him to start breeding or he may go a little nuts mounting everyone at first). Chickens have poor senses of smell so that won't be an issue

Is there a reason you can't divide your facility and give each rooster his own harem?

It seems that whichever you have with the flock the other will be lonely and if you keep swapping them out the hens will have no peace because of the continually-disturbed pecking order.
i dont personally have enough space to divide the flock, sadly. We have the cockerels favorite hen seperated from the rest regardless, as she is not in great shape.

How old are these "roosters" and "hens"? Immature cockerels and pullets will likely behave differently than mature roosters and hens. That's really my only concern.

Some people alternate mature roosters with a flock of mature hens, usually without huge issues. The rooster coming in usually mates with a couple of hens and the flock is his. There can be some disruption so I would not do it too often but if they are mature it should work, it should be safe. If it doesn't you'll know and should do something different. If they are immature cockerels and pullets it could be more disruptive.

If you are doing this because one rooster appears lonely it's probably a losing proposition. One will always be lonely since you said you cannot divide your flock.

I don't know why you want to keep two roosters. The only reason you need even one is if you want fertile eggs. Anything else is a personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preferences, I have a few of those myself. But that is a choice, not a need. I typically suggest you keep as few boys as you can and still meet your goals.

It's your goals that count, not mine or anyone else's. This may be your solution.

Back
Top Bottom