Help! Can this chick in the incubator be saved?

DesertPollos

Chirping
Dec 19, 2020
This chick is still breathing … she’d started to externally zip and the other chicks in the incubator started breaking the shell and I was afraid they were killing her so I tried to help .. it’s my first time incubating so I’m sorry . I probably should’ve left alone. This is the state of the chick right now … no shell- sort of wrapper in the membrane .. breathing … not peeping.

Attachments

• 43187C2E-B034-4DDC-AA01-17FEC004FB13.jpeg
    43187C2E-B034-4DDC-AA01-17FEC004FB13.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 1BBC4D8D-377F-45D0-A42C-4C5C5B98A0D6.jpeg
    1BBC4D8D-377F-45D0-A42C-4C5C5B98A0D6.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 8
Hang in there. Chicks can take up to 24 hours to hatch fully out of their shells and some hatch faster than others, so patience is key. I totally get why you wanted to help, it’s alright, we know you were just trying to help. It very well could still be fine. I am very unexperienced when it comes to incubating and hatching chicks. Hopefully my post bumps it up in the thread, and experienced people can help you more than I. My main advise is make sure the humidity stays up so that membrane doesn’t dry up, and try to be patient. I know it’s exciting. 😁

Thank you for responding. It didn’t make it. It stopped breathing . I was worried the chicks that had already been hatched for awhile were going to go cannibal on it. They were pecking hard at the sack and such. In the end , I just should’ve tried to help less and walked out of the room.

Never, EVER "help" a chick when it doesn't explicitly need it. You will almost certainly put it in grave danger. As you have likely learned from this experience.

I'm sorry the chick died.

Back
Top Bottom