Help! Can't get foot infection under control

scorchedmagnolia

Hatching
Jan 16, 2023
I have an Old English Game rooster, about 3-4 years old and about 1.8 lbs. He got in a fight with our big rooster about 6 months ago and his toe was broken. We took him in, cleaned the infection, wrapped his foot and waited. Eventually the toe fell off, leaving exposed tissue. It looked like it started to become infected, and keeping it wrapped seemed to be making it worse, so i got an antibiotic prescription and pain meds from my vet. He developed a scab and seemed to be doing better. Eventually the scab fell off, and while I tried to keep it clean, soaking it in epsom salt and warm water nightly per my vet, the infection came back. He's over halfway through a second course of antibiotics but the infection is spreading to the rest of the foot and up his leg and getting worse. I have a call in to my vet to see if they are willing to euthenize him because I don't know what else to do. It's heartbreaking because he is otherwise ok, he eats and drinks well, he's talkative and responsive to me. He has just been inside with us for six months, and hasn't been able to put that foot down. I don't know what else I can do at this point,though I hope there is something. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from euthenasia?

All my thanks,
Rachele

Attachments

• 20230129_174041.jpg
    20230129_174041.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230129_174043.jpg
    20230129_174043.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 10
I have an Old English Game rooster, about 3-4 years old and about 1.8 lbs. He got in a fight with our big rooster about 6 months ago and his toe was broken. We took him in, cleaned the infection, wrapped his foot and waited. Eventually the toe fell off, leaving exposed tissue. It looked like it started to become infected, and keeping it wrapped seemed to be making it worse, so i got an antibiotic prescription and pain meds from my vet. He developed a scab and seemed to be doing better. Eventually the scab fell off, and while I tried to keep it clean, soaking it in epsom salt and warm water nightly per my vet, the infection came back. He's over halfway through a second course of antibiotics but the infection is spreading to the rest of the foot and up his leg and getting worse. I have a call in to my vet to see if they are willing to euthenize him because I don't know what else to do. It's heartbreaking because he is otherwise ok, he eats and drinks well, he's talkative and responsive to me. He has just been inside with us for six months, and hasn't been able to put that foot down. I don't know what else I can do at this point,though I hope there is something. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from euthenasia?

All my thanks,
Rachele
My only thought with what you said is possibly amputating the foot/leg we have a silkie roster that has a bad leg and we are considering bringing him to a vet to amputate it as we have done everything else. I hope this helped. wishing you luck! <3

My only thought with what you said is possibly amputating the foot/leg we have a silkie roster that has a bad leg and we are considering bringing him to a vet to amputate it as we have done everything else. I hope this helped. wishing you luck! <3
Thank you! I did think of that but my vet previously told me they weren't equipped for surgical repair for avians. Now I'm not really sure what that means exactly with regard to avians specifically, why it would be that different from other animal surgeries they perform. I'm hoping they call back and agree that amputation is an option and they're willing to do it. Thanks again!

Thank you! I did think of that but my vet previously told me they weren't equipped for surgical repair for avians. Now I'm not really sure what that means exactly with regard to avians specifically, why it would be that different from other animal surgeries they perform. I'm hoping they call back and agree that amputation is an option and they're willing to do it. Thanks again!
I hope you figure somthing out !

Back
Top Bottom