Help changing chicken laws in ANDOVER, MN -*UPDATE*

I see there have been a few responses to my thread since last time I signed in! Sorry for the delay in responding. We recently had a baby and things have been kind of a blur since then:)

Anyway, I do have an update. I have been in communication with council member Bukkila. She informed me, as did the city clerk, that the last time the issue was addressed was in 2006. The main concerns regarding backyard chickens in residential areas was noise and smell. She let me know that she would not be in favor of an ordinance amendment at this time. I let her know that I was still interested in pursuing the issue with city council and Andover residents and she advised that I write a formal letter with my proposed ordinance amendment to the city and from there they would schedule time for the council to review and discuss it. I would like to start a petition as well and ask that anyone else in andover who is interested pursuing change contact me so we can gather ideas and support. Feel free to send me a personal message if you'd like me to be in touch individually. Also, spread the word to your fellow Andover friends!

I would like to get started on putting together an online petition and a petition to bring door to door. I will also be working on putting together a formal letter to present to the city. Perhaps a get together is in order:)

I'm looking to move to Andover. I would like to keep a few chickens, if we do decide to move to Andover I would help.
smile.png

I'd like to organize a meeting for a Saturday morning or weekday evening, sometime in the next few weeks for anyone who is interested in being involved. We could meet at Dunn Brothers. Please contact me on here or via the facebook page if you'd like to join!

https://www.facebook.com/AndoverBackyardChickens

If you're not local, pleases still like the FB page. We are up to 52 likes in the first 24 hours:)

I am rooting for you Kim! I'll go ahead and post a link to your petition on our Andover FB page. I know I've got some friends out in your neck of the woods who might be interested in signing your petition. I signed it myself a few days ago!!

Sometimes you will find that if a City official is against doing something it is simply because the proper argument has not been heard by them.
It is necessary to reinforce how you manage the area where the chickens will live so it is neither obtrusive, intrusive or offensive to your neighbors. Make sure you see things through their eyes. Why did the coucil memeber object in 2006, or why did the issue fail? Also provide for an existing agency to inspect or approve your plans w/o adding cost.

Last edited:
I'm in Arlington VA, where county ordinances prohibit almost everyone from owning chickens. Yards are just too small. I'm involved with a group called the Arlington Egg Project- they are working to have the ordinances changed to allow a limited number of backyard hens (but no roosters). That may be an idea to consider. You might get other ideas from their website: http://www.arlingtoneggproject.org

Good luck!

Great resource! Thanks! It's all a bit overwhelming at this point. I just need to get the ball rolling:)

DH and I have talked to a few neighbors who are fine with, and some even excited about the idea of backyard chickens! This week I am going to work on getting a petition started and some flyers to post at local businesses. I am also working with a local farmer who is willing to offer a backyard chickens workshop in the area. If you're in Andover, or know someone who is, please contact me or find us on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/AndoverBackyardChickens

In addition to facebook, the petition and a workshop, do you all have some ideas for spreading the word in the area? The challenge for me is that we are new to this community so we are not plugged into anything around here yet... church, school, neighbors, etc. On top of that, we homeschool so our network of friends are really spread out through severeal cities.

How about a website or a blog? Perhaps an editorial or announcement in the local paper? Any suggestions for what has worked or what to stay away from as far as getting the word out and hopefully gaining some support is very much appreciated. I am a novice at this, and also an introvert so this is really stretching it for me. lol

I know it's hard to put yourself out there when you tend to be an introvert- but maybe if you look at this as a good opportunity to get to know folks in your area, it will be a little easier. You have a "reason" to talk to people, you're not just having to make idle chit-chat. Volunteering at my daughter's school, and working with the PTA helped me with that...
smile.png

Try making some flyers with info and your Facebook page and post them wherever you can. Maybe some local merchants will allow you to post your flyer in a window, or look for bulletin boards around town that allow the public to post notices- your library, post office, grocery stores, parks? Hand them out at a farmers' market if you have one.

Perhaps you can get your local paper to do a story. An editorial or letter to the editor is a good idea.

You'll know you're really getting the word out there when you start hearing from the nay-sayers. Be ready to refute the typical arguments (noise, smell, rodents, unsightly coops) with facts. Add some images of really nice chicken coops to your flyer and FB page so others can see how it can be done. There's lots of nice pix here on BYC- I've started a file of images I'm happy to share if you want to save yourself some research.

Be sure and dress the part! (Shameless plug for my Urban Chicken tees...haha!)

Back
Top Bottom