Help, chick falling over

Megwyn

Chirping
Feb 16, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Barnevelder, 2 weeks old, seems same size and weight as others

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Unsteady on feet, falling to one side. Weak chirping. Lethargic. Will eat when food infront of her. Not resisting when picked up, not flapping wings like the others do when held

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Just this morning

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

A couple of the others look a little unsteady on their feet

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No idea

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Fresh clean filtered water, chick starter with coccidiostat

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Lovely and healthy

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Vit B, Molasses, water, warmth, fresh Oregano, crushed garlic, apple cider vinegar in water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I want to treat myself, but can go to vet if needed

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

No wound

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Brooder with hessian sack over wood shavings, heater plate.

About a week ago I saw a chick laying on its side and thought nothing of it. The next day I found it dead, so now I’m hyper vigilant. A couple of the other chicks are also showing similar but lesser symptoms. Others are bright and active.

Please help. I don’t want to loose another of these beautiful wee babies.

Thanks
M

Last edited:
66 degrees F seems a little cool for 1 and 2 week olds. Do they seem to huddle together like they are cold? I would just give them drops of plain water with either Poultry NutriDrench or add a few drops of molasses to the water. They really don’t need all the other ingredients. Are they pecking at food crumbles? I would check their vents to make sure they are clear with no stuck poo, and start dipping beaks into the water to get them drinking. Sprinkle a few chick crumbles around their feet on some clean paper towel and peck at it with your finger.

I was wondering about the temperatures too. I've never used a heat plate. I personally like a heat lamp because I can control their temperatures better. Heat plates and pads rely on the chicks making good decisions. Many use them with success, but with multiple chicks seeming listless I might try warming them up a bit more and see if it helps. Around 75-80 degrees is best at their age.

66 degrees F seems a little cool for 1 and 2 week olds. Do they seem to huddle together like they are cold? I would just give them drops of plain water with either Poultry NutriDrench or add a few drops of molasses to the water. They really don’t need all the other ingredients. Are they pecking at food crumbles? I would check their vents to make sure they are clear with no stuck poo, and start dipping beaks into the water to get them drinking. Sprinkle a few chick crumbles around their feet on some clean paper towel and peck at it with your finger.
No, they don’t. A couple are resting with their wings out.

I was wondering about the temperatures too. I've never used a heat plate. I personally like a heat lamp because I can control their temperatures better. Heat plates and pads rely on the chicks making good decisions. Many use them with success, but with multiple chicks seeming listless I might try warming them up a bit more and see if it helps. Around 75-80 degrees is best at their age.
The heat plate is 54°C at the plate. It’s heaps warm enough. I have raised over 100 chicks this way with no problems, in cooler and hotter weather. I don’t think it’s the temperature.

Any other ideas?

Thank you for your suggestions.
All vents are clean.
They do peck, but their crops are not full. I have dipped beaks, and they are drinking, but these two not as much as the others.
I’ve tried pecking with my finger, and they just ignore me . Picking food up and dropping it in front of them works, but these guys know what food is now.

There’s been no improvement. She is still falling over.

Back
Top Bottom