Help - Chick Got Attacked

Jaguar6

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Hello,

Today I tried to integrate a 7 week-old chick with other hens and unfortunatly it did not go well. She got pecked by another hen on her 2 wings (seems to be on the surface only but is bleeding) and has a small hole in her tail. I am studying to be a respiratory therapist but am in no way a vet. So I used what I had lying around and disinfected with peroxide, applied some antibiotic cream to her tail and wrapped dressing around to open areas so infection dosen't get in. I am keeping her in the bathroom with a calm chick friend with a heat lamp. I saw her eat a little but not drink yet. She is peeping a lot! Do any of you think she will survive and does anyone have any other adive. How long should I wait before I say, OK she is going to survive?

Thanks.

Sounds like you did everything you could. I've would have done the same. She's probably still shaken up a bit and I'm pretty sure she'll be ok by in the morning. Sounds like topical damage and nothing internal. All she probably needs is just a calm night of rest. I'd just keep her seperated until she was completely healed up.

I agree you do what you know and hope for the best. Keep it quiet for the night and see how it is tomorrow. lots of hugs your way...
hugs.gif

Sounds like you did everything right. You will probably need to wait until she is much older to integrate her with the flock. Usually, until they are almost as big as the others, around 14-20 weeks.

What I do with my chicks, once they no longer need a heat lamp, is put them outside in their own cage with attached, covered movable "run", so that the big girls get used to them for several weeks. Then the transition is not as difficult.

Back
Top Bottom