Help chick has hard plug in vent.

jobmcd

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Baltimore, Md
I noticed a day old chick not lying down when resting, it's standing, I picked him up and examined that it has a very hard plug in it's bum, I soaked with warm water for awhile, it's not loosening up. Please help, what do I do now?

can you post a pic?
if it is poop then you will need to soak in warm water, if it is where the umbilical should be then you should leave it alone....

eta- are you sure it's the vent?

Last edited:
thanks for all the questions and replies, as it is, I'm new at this, second batch of chicks, first batch went so well! second batch we had some trouble with this particular chick.
I actually had to help the little fella out of his shell a day and a half after pipping through. I was wiping him off a bit as he is pasted down from his feathers being exposed where he did break through his shell and it dried out. i hadn't seen him poo and when I felt that hard spot down there i jumped to the conclusion that was his vent. Thanks for asking that question about being the umbilical cord!

So can anyone help me with how to get him cleaned up, being a day old i didn't want to wet him down to much, it's pretty much on the top of his head and all down his back. where i did wiped with a warm damp cloth around his back didn't make a difference, his feathers are still pasted down.

thanks for your help!

I had one hatch all *sticky*, I used warm water and a q-tip and held my chick under the heat lamp, but not too close. You don't want it getting chilled. I might wait a day or so just to make sure it's ok. Is it acting normal?

It seems to be weaker than the others. it baffles me why it won't lay down, it stands and lays its head down and wobbles, barely getting any rest. poor little guy is pretty sad looking with his feathers pasted down and his skin showing

I found a "hard thing" on the behind of one of my chicks.....I got worried, until I was able to get a good look and realized it was her "bellybutton" LOL. Have fun with your tiny new baby!

It could well be the egg sack that you are seeing feeling, rather than the actual vent, since the chick is only a day old.

Please post a picture before you try pulling anything off/out.

i had two babies hatch that stuck to the shell and I had to help them out. i just stuck them in the brooder, and a few days later, they cleaned themselves up i guess cause they were all fuzzy

Back
Top Bottom