help! chick has picked and bleeding butt!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ntiveheart, Mar 10, 2009.

1. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

this little guy pasted up when it was about a week old and consequently had a nekkid lil butt. i might has well have painted a target on it. the other guys picked and pecked and just tore it up. it spent a week in isolation while it healed.
    today, (it's 4 weeks old) the other chicks have decided to turn carnivore again and it's little bum is pecked and bleeding.
    is there something i can paint it's little hiney with that is absolutely repugnant to the other birds?

thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Once it heals, Rooster Booster has a pick-no-more lotion that's made of some kind of tar. It tastes horribly bitter and smells funny too. You can find it at most feed stores. There's other options too, but I don't know them so the other BYCers will have to throw their two cents in.

3. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    1st-- separate it from the rest-- for at least 1 night to rest and recuperate.

You can buy what is called "Blu-Kote" that you spray on... but for a little one- spray it onto a swab and paint it on.
    It is a antibacterial and colors it blue so the others stop pecking at the area... after it dries, and just before you let it back in with the others, ad a small swipe of Vicks Vapo Rub.. it keeps them from pecking cuz they hate the taste & smell... and it's non toxic.

Keep it from happening to other chicks by using a red heat light instead of a white one!

Good luck!

4. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks! this lil guy would apparently rather be eaten alive than separated from its buds, judging from the amount of racket it's making over there!
    i thought i remembered about the vicks, but wasn't sure. thanks for the confirmation!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by