Help Chick in Trouble

NotaZoo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
I am a newbie at raising chickens. We had three brooding hens and as the chicks hatched they were killing them. So we removed the eggs. One hatched fine on its own, the second needed help so I took the shell off and then helped peel the membrane and it is doing just fine. The third however is clearly in distress. I have tried to peel the shell and it keeps bleeding. I stop immediately and waited over night to try again and it is still bleeding. The chick is clearly beginning to seriously stop moving I am unsure what to do now. Should I just get it out and hope for the best or leave it be and hope for the best.

Thank you

I am a newbie at raising chickens. We had three brooding hens and as the chicks hatched they were killing them. So we removed the eggs. One hatched fine on its own, the second needed help so I took the shell off and then helped peel the membrane and it is doing just fine. The third however is clearly in distress. I have tried to peel the shell and it keeps bleeding. I stop immediately and waited over night to try again and it is still bleeding. The chick is clearly beginning to seriously stop moving I am unsure what to do now. Should I just get it out and hope for the best or leave it be and hope for the best.

Thank you
If its bleeding it clearly isnt ready to come outDont remove the shell.
The veins in the membranes haven't dried up and it will bleed to death if you try .I would let it go.
The hatching process is grooling for the chick and they try and try and then rest for long periods 1/2 a day sometimes a lot is going on, giving the veins a chance to dry up, giving their lungs a chance to get used to breathing air.. when its all ready it will hatch
Common to take a long time to hatch
.If the beak is out where it can breath its ok .
.Maybe struggle to come out but it probably will come when its time.
Some are later than others
If it has problems then it will live or die during the hatch.In nature only the strong survive you dont want a sick chick suffering for days if that's the case
GOOD LUCK!! Tomorrow if its not out try again slowly to open the shell The veins should be dry by then. But VERY small increments is the key

Last edited:
Ive got one myself
. Ive incubated for over a year weekly but had my first 2 broodys hatch some chicks recently .
One broody hatched 3 chicks 2 weeks ago
I had added some eggs a week later than these that Im anxious to hatch

First of my Lav Am eggs apparently hatched 1/2 way out of the shell very early this morning but the chick when i looked was dead.
No trauma at all no internal problems visable when I opened it up the rest of the way and it was perfect and hatch ready.
.Seemed to just die when the top half was out of the shell. My thinking is the mom smothered it while it hatched as her 3 babies are alive and under there maybe she didn'think about more coming .(My fault)OR she got off while it hatched and it got too cold.

Now im wondering if I should stick the other one that should hatch tomorrow as iput it in a daylate tthan the first put it in my bator with the others I am hatching I n there (humidity is 40-45 though day 12) Or leave them be for her to hatch I think the air humidity is probably above 50% as was very humid yesterday maybe 60-70 and 93 out so good for hatching probably. today not as hot out. but still about 89 they say

The other thing is she hasn't set on them during the day much at all for the last week or so as shes out with the babies so they only get whatever heat the weather brings daytime.
Its been hot but not today so far
So bring the eggs in to incubate or leave out ? That is the question .
Any long timers out there with an answer?
frow.gif

Last edited:
Thank you. I left this one alone and the chick died in the egg. The last egg started pipping and was out in less than 3 hours (unhelped).

We've helped them out of the shells (if it's bleeding it's probably too soon) and had them survive and ones that survived for a few days and then die. Sorry to hear yours didn't make it.

I've never seen a hen kill a chick - ours are excellent moms so far - I hope that doesn't happen to us!

I hope not either. We will now incubate our eggs as our hens ended up killing 6 chicks and it happened so fast! We were gone less than an hour. So out of this batch we have one blind chick (thanks to the hens) and two health chicks.

I hope not either. We will now incubate our eggs as our hens ended up killing 6 chicks and it happened so fast! We were gone less than an hour. So out of this batch we have one blind chick (thanks to the hens) and two health chicks.

I'm wondering if the hens were fighting over the babies and the babies got caught in the cross hairs? I have to completely separate my broodies bc of this! Just a suggestion...sorry about your loss :(

I'm wondering if the hens were fighting over the babies and the babies got caught in the cross hairs? I have to completely separate my broodies bc of this! Just a suggestion...sorry about your loss
sad.png
For sure.....almost always, hens do not like chicks that are not their own.............
I'm sorry you had this experience.................
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom