Help!!! Chick is in pain, other eye is shut!

katherinesc

Chirping
5 Years
May 25, 2015
I have three chicks on my backyard, two of which are about 3 1/2 weeks old and one 2 weeks old. My smallest was usually picked on by the two and after two days, I noticed a reddish lower eye and bald spots so I separated her from them. Since then she was able to eat better but just a while ago while I was feeding her, I found out that her left eye became worse. It was shut and she always scratches it with her wings and feet. She makes a sound, and I believe that she is in pain. What do I do? She barely eats and cant even sit. She only stands, which I take is a sign of irritation.

Help!!!

p.s, when i got her, she already had a bloody lower eye. My brother thought she was blind but I still took her.

The poor chick needs to see a vet before she doesn't have any eyes. Your older chicks are at the age where pecking order is sorted. I have no idea why they keep pecking at her because they know she is at the bottom of pile. They probably also noticed her bad eye and have been making it steadily worse. There is no way under these conditions that she will ever heal.

You can post on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures ," thread but it is very difficult to diagnose a problem they can't see and examine closely.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you have a sick chick :hugs With her being smaller, of a younger age and the already bloody eye this will have caused the older bigger chicks to pick at her even more. Chicks can become quite aggressive when they see blood often getting into a frenzy of pecking when they see blood. You will need to keep the eye clean as much as you possibly can untill its fully healed. If the eye has become infected this could be causing here to be even more off colour.

I hope the emergencies people are able to help you more with her and that she is well soon.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Back
Top Bottom