Help!!! Chick just pooped orange gloop?

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
HI

I am very new to raising chicks but not sure I really this is normal. My 3 week old EE girl just pooped and it looks really weird. It’s the middle of the night and I can’t do much right now. It doesn’t look like a caecal poop, do chicks even do those? Hopefully I’m wrong. It looks orange and almost translucent.

Here’s a pic (soz it’s kinda gross)
EEA24998-9B4F-4DE4-A6E9-09675452C243.jpeg
760AA2E0-0737-4444-A59A-3771A73795B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, she's been shaking her head.........not SUPER excessively but it still makes me nervous. I don't think it's just when I talk to her. At random times she'll shake her head almost continuously for at least 20-30 seconds :(

She seems otherwise healthy, I am cuddling her right now.

Can you get some photos of more of their poop and of the chicks - it's hard to see them.

Do they have enough light in the brooder to be able to see the side that has food/water?
What are you feeding, including any treats?
Have you added anything to their water?

Can you get some photos of more of their poop and of the chicks - it's hard to see them.

Do they have enough light in the brooder to be able to see the side that has food/water?
What are you feeding, including any treats?
Have you added anything to their water?
Yes, they have plenty of light, my camera just adjusted to see under the heat lamp better. They are eating chick starter, clean water, and a tiny, tiny bit of creamed corn, broccoli or mashed banana daily. I added just a little ACV to the water, no medicine. I will send some photos later, other poops look normal.

Actually, one thing I've been thinking about is these guys are vaccinated for Marek's, and I think coco. I asked the guy if the feed was medicated and he was like "O ye, must feed them medicated", but I've heard it cancels out the vaccine. That is the only feed right now, and I doubt my mum would let me buy any other until we run out, which might be once they are ready for grower feed. (I accidentally got sent wayyy too much grower, I have like 30kg for 7 or less bantam chicks) They seem otherwise healthy, no blood in poop, do I have to buy other feed? the guy wasn't super clear, I was in a hurry.

Yes, they have plenty of light, my camera just adjusted to see under the heat lamp better. They are eating chick starter, clean water, and a tiny, tiny bit of creamed corn, broccoli or mashed banana daily. I added just a little ACV to the water, no medicine. I will send some photos later, other poops look normal.

Actually, one thing I've been thinking about is these guys are vaccinated for Marek's, and I think coco. I asked the guy if the feed was medicated and he was like "O ye, must feed them medicated", but I've heard it cancels out the vaccine. That is the only feed right now, and I doubt my mum would let me buy any other until we run out, which might be once they are ready for grower feed. (I accidentally got sent wayyy too much grower, I have like 30kg for 7 or less bantam chicks) They seem otherwise healthy, no blood in poop, do I have to buy other feed? the guy wasn't super clear, I was in a hurry.
Are you giving them chick grit or parakeet grit for the other food?

Check with the breeder or whoever you bought them from and see what vaccines were administered.
You are in Australia - so post a label of ingredients that's on your feed bag. Sometimes the medication is different than Aprolium that is used in the US.

Provide your chicks with chick grit (crushed granite) if they are eating anything else beside poultry feed.

Likely that funny looking poop was just something one ate since they are getting some veggies. If that's the only poop you saw like that and they are active, eating/drinking and growing, then just keep watch on them.

Check with the breeder or whoever you bought them from and see what vaccines were administered.
You are in Australia - so post a label of ingredients that's on your feed bag. Sometimes the medication is different than Aprolium that is used in the US.

Provide your chicks with chick grit (crushed granite) if they are eating anything else beside poultry feed.

Likely that funny looking poop was just something one ate since they are getting some veggies. If that's the only poop you saw like that and they are active, eating/drinking and growing, then just keep watch on them.
I don't have the feed bag, he just gave me some in a tub, but I think it might be golden yolk brand.

1597102214995.png

Last edited:
Are you for sure they were vaccinated for Coccidiosis?
Even in the US, that is not a widespread practice except for large commercial operations.

The Coccidiostat in your feed is Bovatec® 20CC (Lasaloacid Sodium) just in case you need to know that. If the feed store guy recommended it, then I would stick with that for at least 6 weeks or so.

Please do provide the chicks with a source of grit - if they eat anything else besides chick starter they need grit. This may be why you are seeing some "off" poop.

Back
Top Bottom