HELP.. Chick membrane intact, air sack end of sell broken

Mixed Pen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 17, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Hi ALL

I have hatched my first chicks ever about 50% success rate (one was put down today as its stomach somehow was on the outside when i went to chek water and food) no idea what happened maybe my daughter had a sneaky play while i was not looking, but not likely so i am none the wiser

ANYWAY..

so we were about to chuck all the unhatched eggs, so i carefully candled them, no movement, then did the tap and listen, no sound so proceeded to investigate the chicks, i carefully opened the air sack end of the shell and inspected to make sure there definately was no movement and the second last one was still alive, so i looked up the "assisted hatching step by step" and i got as far as opening air sack to find beak and open outer membrane, BUT.. i cant find the beak, SO, i have put chick back in the incubator on a moist cloth and am keeping an eye on it..

WHAT do i do now, wait and see, search for beak, slowly and gently step over time remove some shell??

NO IDEA

Hi try not to panic and take a deep breath!!! I would leave it the incubator for now and re read the assisted hatching. You may not be able to see the beak because it hasn't internally pipped so therefore not ready to hatch. I would continue to follow the process of assisted hatching. Wishing you the very best of luck.:fl

H
Hi try not to panic and take a deep breath!!! I would leave it the incubator for now and re read the assisted hatching. You may not be able to see the beak because it hasn't internally pipped so therefore not ready to hatch. I would continue to follow the process of assisted hatching. Wishing you the very best of luck.:fl[/quote
I'm kinda having tr same problem... Some of my eggs were due days ago and I don't know when to all it quits...
Do I just slowing open the egg to see if there is a chick in there? :)

Sorry! Didn't mean to do that!
I hope your chick hatches! Keep us updated:)

Im kinda having the same problem... Some of my eggs were due days ago and I don't know when to all it quits...
Do I just slowing open the egg to see if there is a chick in there?

H
Hi try not to panic and take a deep breath!!! I would leave it the incubator for now and re read the assisted hatching. You may not be able to see the beak because it hasn't internally pipped so therefore not ready to hatch. I would continue to follow the process of assisted hatching. Wishing you the very best of luck.:fl[/quote
I'm kinda having tr same problem... Some of my eggs were due days ago and I don't know when to all it quits...
Do I just slowing open the egg to see if there is a chick in there? :)
. I would wait till the end of day 25 before doing the candle and tap. Then if you still can't hear anything start the assisted hatching process to check for life. 21 days is just a guide nothing set in stone when it comes to incubating there are many factors as too why a chick would be late. Good luck .

Thanks heaps! Whats that candle an tap process?? It's about day 28now

. I would wait till the end of day 25 before doing the candle and tap. Then if you still can't hear anything start the assisted hatching process to check for life. 21 days is just a guide nothing set in stone when it comes to incubating there are many factors as too why a chick would be late. Good luck .

Hi karlyla.. candle to see if there is movement or blood ring or possible nothing at all.. tap and listen carefully to hear if there is sound coming back...

Mine still no change still alive...
the ones i candled tapped and just did a (assisted version of checking, by opening sack end first just in case) all of them i could see a leg and foot and i just cant remeber if i could see the beak or not) this one i cant see anything just feathers, no foot or leg at all, so I suspect its upside down??

i have decided to give it a few more hours then i will do a assist.. wish me luck

So i started to assist... got about 1.5cm away from the edge of the air sack and there was a beak poking thorugh the membrane bt closer to the pointy end, i have stopped assisting now for an hour, will get back to you all later

UPDATE.. so i had noticed a slowing in the respiration since last night and even between this morning and when i discovered the beak at the pointy end, anyway i guess little chick had been stressed and when i went back to continue to assist the little one was gone.. Thanks for your help and advice and maybe next time i might have better success.. :)

Back
Top Bottom