HELP!!! chick problem

GAChicken Chick

Songster
7 Years
Dec 30, 2012
Toccoa, GA
I got 12 baby chicks form a breeder (NPIP certified breeder) the day before yesterday and the smallest one is extremely fussy. It screams all the time, and doesn't seem to be eating or drinking, just screaming. It's gotten worse the last 24 hrs or so, and this morning I noticed that one leg was much redder than the other.

They are Lavender Orpingtons, so a grey leg with the foot being whitish pink. The rest of the chicks are fine. Now both feet are very red and look a bit puffy. What could be wrong? Im thinking this is just some kind of defect made during the hatching process, this is a big rare breeder and she has no idea. She hasn't had it happen with her chicks. Any suggestions?

Oh yea and they were btwn 6-24 hours old when I picked them up, and this particular chick wasn't even fully dry yet when I brought them home

The lil peeper has died in its sleep. :'( Me and the breeder are thinking it was a birth defect, no other symptoms other than the red legs and seeming to be in pain. At least not in pain anymore

Back
Top Bottom