Help! Chick seems to be stuck in membrane?

Not sure how you can see if the yolk's still getting absorbed from this... One if the most common is head over wing. They can pip, but they can't zip in that position. It's a pretty easy assist. If you wait a long time to assist, they may get a bruised beak and take a few days to build up their leg strength, but will do on their own with no trouble and they'll be keeping up with the others in no time.

I had a particularly troubled bubs this last hatch - had albumen leaking out the pip, so had to enlarge and tip up the egg to prevent driwning. Couldn't move at zip time though I could see it trying. I didn't wait to intervene and helped the little one out. Was head over wing and foot over head and sticky as anything.

There was a fair bit of bleeding, but that's where the styptic powder came in handy. She's 2 weeks old now and almost fully feathered. A happy healthy chick. Did take her a bit longer to stabilise than the others, but not much, and 3 mini baths to get all the albumen clear of her down. The leg stuck over her head was a bit curled at first but sorted itself out quickly.
Yes that was just me seeing things with the yolk...

If she can't zip, you will have to, but don't rush - get things set up first so everything you may need is at hand. Make sure your workspace is hot and humid. - fill up a hot water bottle with 'warm'(not boiling) water if you have to for heat. As mentioned, a hot shower in the bathroom makes a great place to work. Don't do the assist in the brooder. You want to keep the temp and humidity in there stable. You may want to add a moist folded up paper towel in her place when you take her out to counter humidity loss from opening the brooder - especially if it has trouble maintaining humidity.

@Silkie Princess maybe this could help you.

I watched this when I had to assist, sorry I couldn’t send you the link, I haven’t worked out how to do that yet. Good luck
I don’t know what happened there 🤦‍♀️ But it was a video on YouTube.
38CE6874-011C-4DA8-AAF5-D52886E3EC6E.png

Back
Top Bottom