Help chick struggling

ejcimd

Songster
11 Years
Nov 28, 2009
Maine
I have a chick that staggers keeps opening it's mouth making no sound. Occasionally it squeaks then stands and falls down. Breathing so hard his entire body moves. Any ideas? When he does stand he Lso flaps his wings. He is a week and a half old Buckeye chick.

Mine did this and I gave her polyvisol vitamins without iron. I treated 2 drops in beak twice a day until the gasping stopped. Then I treated the water with vitamins afterwards. They are infant vitamins sold at many stores. My neighbors chick did the same thing and hers didn't make it, but she didn't treat with vitamins. Good luck.

Thank you for commenting. He did just poop and his gasping and breathing are not so labored.

Hope he continues to improve!

I will cross post in emergency as well.

I tried vitamins for a weak one, added to water only, and they helped but she gave out in the end. Also with a breathing issue, make sure that they don't try to sleep on their back. Mine kept doing that and I read that the way their lungs work they can drown. Don't know if that's true or not. Just my one experience.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom