1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help chick struggling

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ejcimd, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ejcimd

ejcimd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Maine
    I have a chick that staggers keeps opening it's mouth making no sound. Occasionally it squeaks then stands and falls down. Breathing so hard his entire body moves. Any ideas? When he does stand he Lso flaps his wings. He is a week and a half old Buckeye chick.

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry I don't know but posting to bump your thread. You might try posting it in the Emergency section. Good luck!

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Mine did this and I gave her polyvisol vitamins without iron. I treated 2 drops in beak twice a day until the gasping stopped. Then I treated the water with vitamins afterwards. They are infant vitamins sold at many stores. My neighbors chick did the same thing and hers didn't make it, but she didn't treat with vitamins. Good luck.

4. ejcimd

ejcimd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Maine
    Thank you for commenting. He did just poop and his gasping and breathing are not so labored.

Hope he continues to improve!

I will cross post in emergency as well.

5. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I tried vitamins for a weak one, added to water only, and they helped but she gave out in the end. Also with a breathing issue, make sure that they don't try to sleep on their back. Mine kept doing that and I read that the way their lungs work they can drown. Don't know if that's true or not. Just my one experience.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by