Help! Chick suddenly not well...

zanelee

Chirping
13 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Deep in the heart of Texas
I bought some chicks at Atwoods around a week and a half ago. All have been doing great, until this morning.
My little cochin was fluffed up and lethargic. I pulled her out and have had her in her own area with fresh water (with electrolytes) and her normal chick started (which she's not touching)
And heat, as she felt cool.

Their heat lamp was off last night, and it was cool, but not cold. And again, the others are fine.

I ran a fecal on the healthy ones, and found nothing. There has been no poop from her.
I was going to medicate her for coccidia, but being I found nothing in the pen mates poo, I figure she doesn't have any. (They have been together since being shipped to Atwoods)

Suggestions?
Thanks so much!

I would take her to the feet store, or the vet. Most feed stores can take a look at a chicken and recommend treatment; they also often have some supplies, such as probiotics, electrolytes, etc,.

It's possible she just got chilled if the heat lamp was off all night. At their age that is a long time to go with no heat. BUT...at her age and with her symptoms also being classic for coccidiosis I would just get some Corid and treat for it to be safe. Especially if she has warmed up and she is still lethargic and not eating/drinking. SInce she's not drinking on her own you will need to give her the medicated water, use an eye dropper every couple hours just dribble a few drops in the side of her beak and let her swallow. It never, ever hurts to treat for coccidiosis but if the bird has it and you don't treat death is very likely.

A vet can help....IF you have access to an avian vet and you want to spend $$$. Most small animal vets know nothing about poultry and most will not even see a chicken. Feed store advice is hit and miss at best. Some employee's may know something about chickens, a whole lot know nothing about them and can easily point you in the wrong direction.

Aside from a vet visit, I wouldn't know what to do, so I'm glad someone else is helping.
Hope all goes well!

Back
Top Bottom