Help! Chick with convulsions and thick saliva

I'm at a loss for the smell; I'm assuming you meant she smells like "throw-up". Wyorp Rock, could she be dealing with impacted crop turned sour crop?

Keep her hydrated if nothing else and continue to follow Wyorp Rock's advice. I know you said you "won't force feed", but you might have to do that to keep her alive until you can get to the bottom of what's ailing her.

Here's a link to a good primer on anatomy of the chicken mouth/throat and how to administer liquids (water or medicine) safely:
https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/02/06/how-to-safely-give-oral-medications/

You asked about what to feed her, but I'd not worry so much about feed right now. Make sure she stays hydrated; that's critical right now.

We made the tough decision to put her down, we felt it was selfish to continue to let her struggle.
Thanks to all for the the help and suggestions.
I'm sorry about your pullet.

The only way to really know what happened would be to have a necropsy. Either through your state lab or if you think you might could do your own, that would be good. If you do your own, then I would start with the head/beak/throat to investigate what was going on with the tongue/trachea/esophagus. Not a task for everyone of course and very understandable if it's not for you.

I would suggest that you look inside the rest of your flock's beaks for any lesions, yellow pasty material and check crops to make sure they are emptying completely overnight.
What was going on with her may have just been a condition or illness affecting her, but monitoring the rest closely for any symptoms would be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom