HELP- CHICK WONT GO INTO COOP AT NIGHT

newfrom NJ

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
HI everyone. I have an 8 week old white silkie pullet that doesnt go into the coop at night. The coop is elevated 20 inches off the ground. There is no ramp ( i feel like not having a ramp eliminates an entranceway for vermin) The other three chickens ( 1 other silkie 1 millie fleur 1 cochin ) are the same age and all go into the coop at night with with no issue. It is just the one white silkie that doesnt go in the coop at night. She ambulates normally and doesnt seem to have any other issues. Every night I put her into the coop to help her get the idea but it has been 3 weeks and she has yet to actually put HERSELF in it. Any thoughts?

Hmm...sounds like one stubborn chickie you got there. If I were you, I don't think I'd do anything more. I don't think that she'll just go in by herself if she doesn't want to. :/ She'll just have to either face the consequences or get in herself.

Sorry if I wasn't too much of a help, but from what I've learned from raising chicks is that they'll always do things their own way. Either that or follow the mother. If they don't have a mother, then you might just have to teach the chick to get inside of the coop. I believe it can be done! Sounds like a tough situation you're in, though.

i think youre probably right and I do appreciate the response. Several of my posts here have gone unanswered so Ive literally started scanning through and trying to answer other people who had zero responses.

Haha, it's fine. :) I've been trying to do that, too. Everyone needs help! :D

And chickens, again, can be stubborn. I'm not going to say they're not too terribly bright, but they're not all that smart, either. Sometimes they won't head into the coop on their own.
I haven't experienced this personally, since all of the chicks I've ever tried to raise had grown up with a mother, and had stayed with her the entire time.
Good luck with your stubborn chick! X3

THANKS- i have to say although i adore her she does seem to be the dumbest of the bunch haha

It does seem to help when the broody hen teaches them, but being chickens and not knowing they have anything to fear yet doesn't encourage early roosting. I am trying to encourage them to get in the coop by feeding them at sundown, so far it's working, but integrating new pullets takes patience and practice, tonight one old hen wasn't letting any into the coop....oh well
I don't know much about silkies, but maybe she does need the ramp temporary, and you can pick it up at night, I don't think it will stop a rat though cause they can jumo and climb well, but you don't want silkie on the ground.m

Back
Top Bottom