HELP!! Chicken attacked by dog

dingochic

Hatching
Nov 30, 2015
One of my Buff Orpingtons was attacked by the neighbor's puppy last week. He pretty much plucked all the feathers off her back and it looks like there were a few small chunks missing on her back. We cleaned her, put some antibiotic salve(actually, an essential oil salve specifically made for animals) on her back, and kept her in the garage for a couple of days. She seemed to be doing ok so I let her outside in the grass for a couple of days separated from the rest of the chickens. She layed around a lot, but seemed to be ok as she would move from spot to spot, and she was eating and drinking. So, I moved her back into the coop still separated by a dog kennel. The first day I let her out to free range with the rest of the chickens and she walked around a little wobbly and the other chickens didn't seem to mess with her. After 2 days, however, she is very lethargic, can't stand (her legs and feet are whitish silver) and the tip of her comb has started to turn purple. She is now back in the garage wrapped in towels. We are force-feeding her water, but she will not take food. She has been this way for 2 days now. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening? I feel like she is just suffering and I don't know what to do for her.

It sounds like you have done all you can. In your situation, particularly if you feel she is suffering, i would cull her.
I hope that other members may have some more positive advice for you.

All the best
CT

Thank you. That is what I wanted to do, but my daughter was insistent on trying to nurse her back to health. I just thought it was weird that she seemed ok and then went downhill fast. She lost her battle last night, so no more suffering. I just hope the neighbors keep their dogs in their own yard from now on. She was the second one they got :(

Poor baby.
hugs.gif
Hopefully, the neighbors WILL keep their dogs home!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom