HELP!! Chicken broke part of her toe OFF!!

BackroadGirl57

KITT Still Rocks!
Mar 20, 2023
Northern Virginia
So, about a week and a half ago I noticed my hen Snowy (white Leghorn) was acting a little odd. I picked her up and saw blood all over her foot and I knew I had to do something, so I took her out of the coop and isolated her. I exanined her later and it turned out she had broken part of her toe clean off. The bone is not exposed, but the stub looks infected even though I'm doing everything I can to heal her. I'm extremely dedicated to my flock.
I dress her foot with Neosporin, wrap it in gauze, then wrap it all with Vetwrap to keep it clean and protect it. I keep her in a large pet carrier in the coop with the other 2 hens, her sister and her friend. At night I keep her in the carrier in a dog crate in my garage. I make sure she always has access to food and water. Before I bring her in in the evening, she gets a short run with her coopmates.
When I bring her in at night I clean the foot, redress it, then replenish her food and water if necessary and put her to bed.

I'm going to go get her and redress the foot soon, and when I do, I'll post a step-by-step of what I do to treat it, starting at the beginning(unwrapped). Tonight's her bath night so I'll include a picture of her in the bath.

My questions are, am I doing the right things for her? Will she heal up and have a half-normal foot? Will the others attack her when I reintegrate her?

See you later in the photo post.

Ok, here goes the photo post. I forgot/she was wiggling too much to take a photo of the foot unwrapped.
The purple stuff on her foot is BluKote.
It's too cold here to give her a bath tonight, so no bath pic. Here are the three I got.

1. Supplies,
2. Step 2,
3. All done!

Attachments

• 20230401_174349.jpg
    20230401_174349.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230401_174709.jpg
    20230401_174709.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230401_174912.jpg
    20230401_174912.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 8
I'm going to go get her and redress the foot soon, and when I do, I'll post a step-by-step of what I do to treat it, starting at the beginning(unwrapped). Tonight's her bath night so I'll include a picture of her in the bath.
This would help a great deal.

TudyBOT would you say I'm doing everything right?
This does not work in all sub-forums.

Back
Top Bottom